Possible Resto-Mod, Ideas?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I agree Steve. You definitely don't make the money back, even if it is an Ring Bros. car or one of the others I mentioned.
I don't like the over the top stuff, but definitely want a super clean, super straight body with killer paint. Then the sub-frame, quadra link rear end, mini-tubbed, etc., etc. LOL The interior I would mostly leave stock, but I want all pieces new and to be all dyno-mat laid. Some stuff I would change up a bit interior wise. Think you want to spend/figured out about 100k on the build, add another 50K, just to be safe. lol
Is your friend building a '69 Camaro pro-tour?

yes. he bought it off another friend of ours. most of it is finished. just a few things to wrap up. its a low #s car. an L88 i think? in canary yellow (iirc) which not many were made. its not a full on build like some of my other friend's cars. with tubbed rear ends and what not. heck, one friend is building a 69 with a full tube chassis and F1 paddle shifters. that one is a no expense spared build.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
How hard is it to find parts for those cars? I can tell you that finding standard everyday parts for my Continental is a nightmare. Hoses, belts, parts....nothing is listed correctly at O'reilly or Napa. The trunk needs weatherstripping....it's a special order and what costs $4 at Napa for a normal car costs 20 trillion dollars to get the right part.

as mentioned theyre easy to find for those cars. especially camaros and mustangs. they even make full on reproduction fiberglass bodies.

one really cool new product we saw at sema was an old school looking radio with modern functions. HD radio and BT connectivity. two of my buddy's plan to buy them. theyre like $1k! but they require no modification to the dash. very shallow.

Blown 89

Established Member
one really cool new product we saw at sema was an old school looking radio with modern functions. HD radio and BT connectivity. two of my buddy's plan to buy them. theyre like $1k! but they require no modification to the dash. very shallow.
HD radio is awesome. I had it in the Cobra and AM sounds just as good as FM. $1,000 sounds like a lot but it's worth it.

CV355

_
Established Member
Take what you think it will cost and add a few zeros to whatever you think the project will cost.

Been there before, so believe me I learned that lesson hard.

I feel your urges too.
Buy something that you like that's 75% and profit by not taking the beating and adding a few personalizations.
It's such an expensive way otherwise.
Best of luck.

Agreed- that's exactly what I'm looking for

You just want to be like John Wick!

Haha, I loved the car long before I saw it in that movie.

kyle_c_21

Established Member
I would love to do a '70 Mach 1 with a Trinity swap. Get good street suspension under it and do FBO. Just tell people its a factory 351 with bolt ons lol.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
It's truly a losing proposition. I suggest you buy a nice driver car and then do suspension, efi, updated electronics etc. That way you won't get nearly as hurt should sell.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
It's truly a losing proposition. I suggest you buy a nice driver car and then do suspension, efi, updated electronics etc. That way you won't get nearly as hurt should sell.

or you can do like a couple of friends have. buy a car that's halfway built. or has a lot of the expensive parts already purchased. the current owner needs to sell for whatever reason and you get a sweet deal. ill post up pics of what my buddy recently picked up from a divorce sale.... $15k iirc. it pays to have cash on hand for stuff like this. and a truck and trailer ready to go! lol. he said its an easy $100k car. just needs a drivetrain.

he picked up another $200k build car from a rich guy who gave up on the project. that's the 69 with full tube chassis, penske racing suspension, f1 transmission, built LS7 and more. for like $30k

Attachments

• IMG_7811.jpg
    IMG_7811.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7813.jpg
    IMG_7813.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 103
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7812.jpg
    IMG_7812.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
this is the other one he picked up. this one shows what happens when you go full retard. some wealthy guy was building it. took it to two different shops and finally gave up on it. my buddy bought the motor on ebay and then asked "hey whats up with the car in the background?" ....and it went from there lol. they were going to scrap the car! 2nd shop said they couldnt finish it for some reason. my buddy said "i can finish it!"
picked up everything here for $30k cash. it has a ton of more work to go obviously but when he tells you how much each part thats already been done it would make your head spin. the penske shocks at like $2k per corner. cant recall how much the frame was but some ridiculous amount. etc... luckily my buddy can do pretty much everything himself except paint. going to be slapping twins on it.

Attachments

• IMG_7822.jpg
    IMG_7822.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7821.jpg
    IMG_7821.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7815.jpg
    IMG_7815.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7816.jpg
    IMG_7816.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7817.jpg
    IMG_7817.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7819.jpg
    IMG_7819.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 78

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
this is the other one he picked up. this one shows what happens when you go full retard. some wealthy guy was building it. took it to two different shops and finally gave up on it. my buddy bought the motor on ebay and then asked "hey whats up with the car in the background?" ....and it went from there lol. they were going to scrap the car! 2nd shop said they couldnt finish it for some reason. my buddy said "i can finish it!"
picked up everything here for $30k cash. it has a ton of more work to go obviously but when he tells you how much each part thats already been done it would make your head spin. the penske shocks at like $2k per corner. cant recall how much the frame was but some ridiculous amount. etc... luckily my buddy can do pretty much everything himself except paint. going to be slapping twins on it.
That car is going to tear up the road course and auto-x events!!

CV355

_
Established Member
Consensus is... Avoiding the resto-mod route for now. I'll be doing what several have suggested and finding one that's mostly complete and doing finishing touches.

I have my eye on quite the contender at the moment. Hoping it pans out!

Never_Enough

Established Member
Consensus is... Avoiding the resto-mod route for now. I'll be doing what several have suggested and finding one that's mostly complete and doing finishing touches.

I have my eye on quite the contender at the moment. Hoping it pans out!
Why avoid rest-mod? Just buy 1 with the major crap done already. That's what I am doing. After going to the Wildwood classic car show this past weekend, I cannot wait anymore & have put WTB ads up. Wasn't planning to buy a new toy yet, but F it lol

CV355

_
Established Member
Why avoid rest-mod? Just buy 1 with the major crap done already. That's what I am doing. After going to the Wildwood classic car show this past weekend, I cannot wait anymore & have put WTB ads up. Wasn't planning to buy a new toy yet, but F it lol

You hit the nail on the head. I'm looking for one that's at 90-95%. Wish I had the time or resources to do a complete one myself but it's not in the cards in this lifetime.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a 66 Chevelle that was pretty much like I wanted it. Paint was a decent driver quality, the frame was done, engine compartment was done, smooth firewall, complete interior with a nice set of wheels and big brakes. Bought the car like that for 35k. I then had in a 480hp ls3 along with a 4l60 transmission and some vintage air. I now have what i consider to be the perfect driver "not show", pro touring car "for me" that i can enjoy. Total price, over 85k! Won't make that mistake again........

CV355

_
Established Member
I'm being cautious about it for that exact reason. I've sunk a lot of money into a runaway project before- never doing that again.

That's why on my GT500, I'm calling it "project complete." Not a damn thing more except oil changes, brake pads, and tires.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I bought a 66 Chevelle that was pretty much like I wanted it. Paint was a decent driver quality, the frame was done, engine compartment was done, smooth firewall, complete interior with a nice set of wheels and big brakes. Bought the car like that for 35k. I then had in a 480hp ls3 along with a 4l60 transmission and some vintage air. I now have what i consider to be the perfect driver "not show", pro touring car "for me" that i can enjoy. Total price, over 85k! Won't make that mistake again........
How the hell did a motor swap & AC cost $50k?!
I'm looking for a 65-67 Chevelle resto mod right now for under $40k. I am hoping to find something that already has an LS drivetrain in it & some suspension & chassis crap done. Pro touring is what I want as well. If I'm looking at ending up in whatever I buy anywhere near $85k, I'm not even going to bother looking anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread