Possible Resto-Mod, Ideas?

CV355

_
Established Member
I got my GT500 back from getting cams and a tune, and the thing drives so amazingly well that I officially said "I'm done, project complete!" Problem is, I'll be itching for a new project.

My wife and I are looking at possibly getting a 1969 Mach 1, preferably already "not original" so I don't feel guilty, and doing a tasteful resto-mod (keep 90% original, minor engine mods, engine bay dress up, that's it) Prices on these range drastically depending on factory code, condition, etc. I found several that were repainted to colors I don't like, but the rest is ideal and the price is right.

How much would I be looking at for a full exterior paint job of decent quality? Doesn't have to be top-tier show quality, but more of a late-model OEM quality.

Any words of caution/encouragement for what to look for/avoid for this type of project?

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Spend a bit more to get a solid body with the work done.

Does it have to be a mach? Standard fastback would be somewhat cheaper, especially if you dont care about originality.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I would love to build a resto-mod. A pro-touring car actually, but it would cost me stupid money. I looked at sub-frames and full chassis's with rotors/rack and pinion, etc., etc. I would keep most of the interior intact, except for maybe seats.
But to answer your question about a good, quality paint job,..........get ready to drop down between 10-15K.
I used to frequent an auto shop here in the town that I live. Got to know the owner pretty good and became friends, but I haven't been around much longer. He built the famous '71 Orange Krate Camaro.

CV355

_
Established Member
Spend a bit more to get a solid body with the work done.

Does it have to be a mach? Standard fastback would be somewhat cheaper, especially if you dont care about originality.

Just personal preference. '69 Mach 1 is one of my dream cars, so as long as I don't deviate from original too much it's still a "Mach 1."

coposrv

Established Member
I would love to build a resto-mod. A pro-touring car actually, but it would cost me stupid money. I looked at sub-frames and full chassis's with rotors/rack and pinion, etc., etc. I would keep most of the interior intact, except for maybe seats.
But to answer your question about a good, quality paint job,..........get ready to drop down between 10-15K.
I used to frequent an auto shop here in the town that I live. Got to know the owner pretty good and became friends, but I haven't been around much longer. He built the famous '71 Orange Krate Camaro.

Pete at competition specialties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
StreetOrTrack sell great suspension and brake upgrades for vintage Mustangs. Shaun (owner) is a great guy who races what he sells.

I'd say a nice (not crazy nice but still very nice ) color change will run you closer to $10k these days unless you do a lot of the disassembly, prep and assembly yourself. Materials alone will run you $1-2k.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

my buddy thought i was joking when we were walking around sema and he was talking to various companies about parts for his 66 Chevelle he's building. i told him you'll be at $100k before you know it. as we looked at very parts i would say "now you're at $75k." "now you're at $78k" and he would laugh.
so far he's over $30k in and has barely scratched the surface. he talked about taking a break on it for a while lol.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I got my GT500 back from getting cams and a tune, and the thing drives so amazingly well that I officially said "I'm done, project complete!" Problem is, I'll be itching for a new project.

My wife and I are looking at possibly getting a 1969 Mach 1, preferably already "not original" so I don't feel guilty, and doing a tasteful resto-mod (keep 90% original, minor engine mods, engine bay dress up, that's it) Prices on these range drastically depending on factory code, condition, etc. I found several that were repainted to colors I don't like, but the rest is ideal and the price is right.

How much would I be looking at for a full exterior paint job of decent quality? Doesn't have to be top-tier show quality, but more of a late-model OEM quality.

Any words of caution/encouragement for what to look for/avoid for this type of project?
I run a body shop and have done a number of classic Mustangs, including this original GT350 below. We gave the owner and the shop he was having restore it a killer deal at $15k for this. We made sure the body was straight and that it would look flawless when the final product was laid down, but it was still a budget build for the owner as he inherited the car. For such a collectible car like this a paint job should run 30k+ easily. For what you are looking for I would prepare to pay $10-15k if you want the shop to provide you a final product that is basically flawless and show quality. Basically, to the the naked eye the car would look perfect, but say you took it to the Concours or Pebble Beach and a bunch of experts went over it they would be able to find flaws without even trying.

ad00428b1bc07f9abb67af109fb9fed9.jpg

4055644b9d5bfdab27d8eedb9f27f96b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Recon

Established Member
Eleanor with Terminator powertrain. Saw a 65 model like that coolest restro-mod I've seen.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
my buddy thought i was joking when we were walking around sema and he was talking to various companies about parts for his 66 Chevelle he's building. i told him you'll be at $100k before you know it. as we looked at very parts i would say "now you're at $75k." "now you're at $78k" and he would laugh.
so far he's over $30k in and has barely scratched the surface. he talked about taking a break on it for a while lol.
LOL
Tell me about it Steve. I would much rather have a pro-tour car than any other car for my "toy" car, but it would be too much money and too much time. I love the DSE products and their work. Roadster Shop and RingBros. do amazing work as well.

jrandy

Established Member

God, isn't that the truth. When I bought my 67, I couldn't stop thinking about all the things I wanted to do to it. After adding things up, I decided to keep it as is and just drive the damn thing before I put way more into it than I should.

Thankfully, my car is in good enough condition that it doesn't really need much. It's more of the wants that I was planning on.

Blown 89

Established Member
Take what you think it will cost and add a few zeros to whatever you think the project will cost.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
LOL
Tell me about it Steve. I would much rather have a pro-tour car than any other car for my "toy" car, but it would be too much money and too much time. I love the DSE products and their work. Roadster Shop and RingBros. do amazing work as well.

i think Ring Brothers do amazing quality work but i think their cars are a little too over the top.
Take what you think it will cost and add a few zeros to whatever you think the project will cost.

and if you decide to sell, subtract all those zeros. unless its a Foose or Ring car you wont get half your $ back. my buddy sold his chevelle for peanuts. he said he did a lot of the work so not as bad but he put a ton of hours into it. time away from the family etc... took 5 years. but he sold it to buy his first house which was a smart move. now he's building a 69 camaro

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
i think Ring Brothers do amazing quality work but i think their cars are a little too over the top.
and if you decide to sell, subtract all those zeros. unless its a Foose or Ring car you wont get half your $ back. my buddy sold his chevelle for peanuts. he said he did a lot of the work so not as bad but he put a ton of hours into it. time away from the family etc... took 5 years. but he sold it to buy his first house which was a smart move. now he's building a 69 camaro
I agree Steve. You definitely don't make the money back, even if it is an Ring Bros. car or one of the others I mentioned.
I don't like the over the top stuff, but definitely want a super clean, super straight body with killer paint. Then the sub-frame, quadra link rear end, mini-tubbed, etc., etc. LOL The interior I would mostly leave stock, but I want all pieces new and to be all dyno-mat laid. Some stuff I would change up a bit interior wise. Think you want to spend/figured out about 100k on the build, add another 50K, just to be safe. lol
Is your friend building a '69 Camaro pro-tour?

M91196

Established Member
I feel your urges too.
Buy something that you like that's 75% and profit by not taking the beating and adding a few personalizations.
It's such an expensive way otherwise.
Best of luck.

Blown 89

Established Member
How hard is it to find parts for those cars? I can tell you that finding standard everyday parts for my Continental is a nightmare. Hoses, belts, parts....nothing is listed correctly at O'reilly or Napa. The trunk needs weatherstripping....it's a special order and what costs $4 at Napa for a normal car costs 20 trillion dollars to get the right part.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
How hard is it to find parts for those cars? I can tell you that finding standard everyday parts for my Continental is a nightmare. Hoses, belts, parts....nothing is listed correctly at O'reilly or Napa. The trunk needs weatherstripping....it's a special order and what costs $4 at Napa for a normal car costs 20 trillion dollars to get the right part.
Most of the old school muscle car parts are easier to find online.
Especially the Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, Chevelles.

Users who are viewing this thread