Possible exhaust leak???

Jack Burton

Established Member
Not positive if I have an exhaust leak or something different. My car is an 04 cobra. Was bone stock till last week. Had a MAC o/r h installed and a flowmaster catback (with o2 extenders and MIL eliminators). Prior to the install the car sounded fine, now it sounds like it almost has an exhaust leak or something. It makes the ticking noise like an exhaust leak, and I can hear it when I'm driving the car. I brought it to the shop today to have them check it out and they couldn't find any leaks. The guy popped the hood with the car running and was thinking the sound was coming from around the EGR. Anybody have any experience with this? Not really sure where to go from here.

Oh, I also had them put on new Ford gaskets when they installed the exhaust system.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jack Burton

Established Member
Oh, btw, the guy said the noise seemed to be coming from around the area behind the back of the blower.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If it was quiet before then there should be no doubt that it is a leak from one of the exhaust items they installed.

If they put it on a lift with the car idling and no load on the engine, it probably was not loud enough for the "highly trained exhaust technician" to detect, with all the other shop noises going on.

Go back, ask for the manager, walk him out to the car, say "listen to this"- put the parking brake on HARD- rev the engine up a little- and let the clutch out enough to make the noise louder but not enough to stall the car.

Explain how this could be repeatable for them if they stick tech #1 in the car ,put it up on a lift, put tech #2 under the car and duplicate the process while tech #2 looks for the exhaust leak.

The EGR tube runs to the exhaust manifold not the H-pipe so no portion of the EGR system should be leaking after the parts you mentioned were replaced.

By now soot may have formed at the leak making finding it even easier for the HTET--- "Highly Trained Exhaust Technician".:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread