Possible engine rebuild

cohhbra

Established Member
I've developed a tapping noise that seems to be coming from the front of the engine and it revs with the engine. I don't have a video clip but it sounds like rod knock except not as loud. The car has 77k on it and my dad thinks it may be the water pump so I was just wondering if our cars are prone to the water pump going out because I don't recall ever hearing of a terminator with rod knock.

cohhbra

Established Member
That's what I said too, but like I said, I would think possibly rod knock but it is nowhere near loud enough to sound like rod knock. Is there anything else it could be, I've noticed my belts have started to squeak and squeal but they're not worn and Fastlane told me they looked great only 2000 miles ago when they put a timesert in the head of the car.

The noise really does sound like it's coming from somewhere around the whole belt drive but I don't know what would cause a knocking noise in that area besides something like rod knock.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
if i were to guess its either a rod knock.... OR one of your timing chain tensioners decided to crap out and is rattling in the timing cover

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Could it be a spun rod bearing??

I just had that happen in my mark viii engine and sounded like a rod knock just not as loud.

cohhbra

Established Member
I don't think it's rod knock anymore, the noise isn't constant like rod knock.

Fat-cat

Established Member
You could rule out rod knock by disconnecting the fuel injector harness, rev the engine and if the knock goes away it's a rod knock/spun bearing.

Does the knock only happen when the compression cycle lights ?>

Users who are viewing this thread