Porting lower intake manifold

NoRdO

Established Member
Well I've been thinking of porting and polishing my lower intake manifold. I recently bought a somewhat ported and polished cobra intake manifold that had been powder coated. I definitely noticed some gains but this intake isn't fully ported. So I want to port the intake that I took off the car. I'm thinking of cutting the bottom off in order to port the runners. I would then have someone weld the two pieces back together. Does anyone have any tips or a guide for doing something like this. The only thing that I really need to know is where to cut on the intake, like how far down would I start cutting. Also what would I use to cut the intake? I have a dremel but I'm not sure if thats strong enough to cut the whole thing. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
I would trust Naz! That is something you can really screw up. Besides, his prices are very reasonable for what you get, IMHO. I will def own one of his intakes one day.

rapido

Established Member
Going to a short runner on a centri motor, to me anyway, isn't worth the gain. A ported stock runner length intake would better suit your needs.

For a couple hundred bucks you can buy the tools you need to do a simple port job that will provide some decent gains. A 1.5" die grinder, a couple aluma burrs and some sanding rolls are all ya need.

Set the intake on a flat surface and draw a line about 1.5" up from the bottom of the intake and cut away. Open up the port entrances, weld the bottom back on and it'll be fine.

COBRABRAD

Established Member
I ported my own a few years ago, nazman had posted detailed pictures of his work and I copied his methods. When I has done I had it sand blasted on all of the worked surfaces and it came out pretty nice; no dyno though. If his ported short runner existed back then I think I would have bought one.

NoRdO

Established Member
I will definitely be going with naz for porting my heads when I have the money. But I want to try this my self as I already ported my upper lid and widened the the twin inlets to accommodate the bbk 65mm tb. I definitely noticed some gains from doing this. So I think it will be more rewarding if I do it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread