Ported my own blower: Pics inside!

S/CCobra03

Established Member
FordFreak said:
:nono: I won't give away the information of what they do. That's bad business.
Sorry.

Steg. hand ports all of his blowers. I copied an Apten/Steg. port when I ported mine. There really isn't anything special that they do. I mean Steg. is the man when it comes to ported blowers and I know that so I'm not trying to take anything away from him. It's just people think he has the magical machine setup that ports these things to perfection and that just isn't so.

FordFreak

Established Member
S/CCobra03 said:
Steg. hand ports all of his blowers. I copied an Apten/Steg. port when I ported mine. There really isn't anything special that they do. I mean Steg. is the man when it comes to ported blowers and I know that so I'm not trying to take anything away from him. It's just people think he has the magical machine setup that ports these things to perfection and that just isn't so.

I’m not saying it’s "magical" what they do, but they do things that most people won’t notice when they look at the port. I guarantee there are things they did that you over looked. As well as everyone else that tries to copy it. In my opinion, it’s not even worth doing the work yourself, unless you do it for a living.

RedSquad7

E.D.209
Established Member
I dont know enough about the intricacies of porting to comment on how well I think your port job may or may not work....but whats the worst that can happen? You are out an eaton that can be picked up on the boards for $4-500 pretty easily and a re-port- Not too big of a deal. Props for taking the risk!! I am really curious to see your results so hurry up and get it tuned and dynoed and post the results....SOON!

dixonzed

This is gonna be good
Established Member
that highway pull sounds good to me, i ran last night and i trapped at 114 but i still ran my usual 13.3 haha i need traction :bash:

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
So does anyone have any dyno results comparing a home ported blower and one from one of the big name shops? I've done alot of porting before on rotary engines, and have the porting and sanding bits to do it. What did you use to take the actually blower apart? Did you need anything special to take out the bearings or the screws?

S/CCobra03

Established Member
Oh Three Cobra said:
So does anyone have any dyno results comparing a home ported blower and one from one of the big name shops? I've done alot of porting before on rotary engines, and have the porting and sanding bits to do it. What did you use to take the actually blower apart? Did you need anything special to take out the bearings or the screws?

No special tools are needed. When you pull the front cover off the blower, the rotors come off with it so the bearings and things stay put. You just have to remove the front bolts from the blower and pull it apart.

Voice of Reason

Established Member
Question for the group. So the round opening/hole on the intake side, the one that passes through to the bottom of the blower with a TB blade looking thing on it. Is that the boost bypass value? Because I have a thought. If people are disabling boost bypass so that value never opens again would there be any gains in filling that void with an epoxy? That way there wouldn't be any turbulance on the intake side from the big opening that doesn't go anywhere. Just a thought...

FordFreak

Established Member
Voice of Reason said:
Question for the group. So the round opening/hole on the intake side, the one that passes through to the bottom of the blower with a TB blade looking thing on it. Is that the boost bypass value? Because I have a thought. If people are disabling boost bypass so that value never opens again would there be any gains in filling that void with an epoxy? That way there wouldn't be any turbulance on the intake side from the big opening that doesn't go anywhere. Just a thought...

People don’t disable the by-pass. They just disable the electronic solenoid that’s between the vacuum source and the by-pass diagram. When they do this the by-pass works directly off of manifold vacuum with no interference of that electronic solenoid.
You have to have a by-pass, or it will boost at idle and down shifting.

Voice of Reason

Established Member
FordFreak said:
People don’t disable the by-pass. They just disable the electronic solenoid that’s between the vacuum source and the by-pass diagram. When they do this the by-pass works directly off of manifold vacuum with no interference of that electronic solenoid.
You have to have a by-pass, or it will boost at idle and down shifting.

Ahh, that makes perfect sense. So messing with that would have dire consequences. Thanks.

Brad

Banned
That looks great, tell me you covered up the bearings when you were doing that though :D

I still need to get on the dyno and test out my home port def a huge SOTP increase though.

What tools did you use to do that, I pretty much did the bottom with a drill press and the inlet with a dremel and a few special polishing tools.

Here are some pics of my work to the blower. The pics are pretty bad, but the bottom of the blower is beveled, apparently strait edges will hurt performance. A ton of material was removed from the inlet, then sanded/polished to about 400 grit.

finishedport.jpg

inlet2.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread