Ported my intake

bigpapa

Established Member
This is my first time porting anything and I know I like threads with pics figured everyone else does too :rolling:

dsc018793dk.jpg

dsc018800bc.jpg

dsc018854zr.jpg

dsc018893qz.jpg

dsc018904vt.jpg

dsc018920ew.jpg

The end

NXSVTCOBRA

cool, i may do mine, it's actually not a bad idea, got a metal cut-off saw, porting tools, and a welding machine, may actually be a decent project for me

bigpapa

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Have you gotten it back on the car? Gains? Dyno sheets to back it up?
Well I just finiashed it tonight. I have to weld it back up sometime this week. My car is in one million pieces. But if Larry is interested we could base line his car and then swap the intake and see what happens. :rolling:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
that looks very very professional! Very good job on the porting as well as the cutting on that. It is one of the nicest looking jobs I have seen!

bigpapa

Established Member
lemosley01 said:
I'm up for it (dyno)

Did you dremel it?
no, the dremel would have died a fast dead with as much material as I removed.

Here is what I used
dsc018877uf.jpg

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Something I've been curious about. How come nobody extrude hones their intake? It would save on the cutting and welding.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Extrude hone is ~$500, or so I've heard. Greg has the cost of some hacksaw blades and the polishing stuff in his.

Nazman

Established Member
bigpapa said:
no, the dremel would have died a fast dead with as much material as I removed.

Here is what I used
dsc018877uf.jpg
Ensure that you utilize a face mask IE: Breather

Aluminum dust causes Alzheimer's.

Great intiative on taking on the intake, its coming along good but could utilize lots more work in the runners and the entrance. It's that epoxy I see there?

How about the head side and the injector bosses?

Good stuff, keep it up!

Naz

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Nazman said:

Great intiative on taking on the intake, its coming along good but could utilize lots more work in the runners and the entrance. It's that epoxy I see there?

Good stuff, keep it up!

Naz

Didn't know that about the dust. Are you talking about la full mask, like what a car painter wears, or just the ones that snap over your face?

bigpapa

Established Member
Nazman said:

Good stuff, keep it up!

Naz
I used the cheapy face masks,

No expoy I just didn't have a long enough mandrel to work on that little bump transition area to the lower. The longest mandrel I had was 1.5" shank and 1.5" spindle. It would be nice if I could add a little material in a few places to make better transitions. Also Naz I was concerned about grinding through the 4 bosses where the fuel rails mount. How far can I take them down with out going through?

The head side has been extrude honed, I will see if I can get a pic of it. It's kind of hard to make out due to the oil that has attached it's self to the runners.

Welding will vary from 30 to 60 dollars.

Nazman

Established Member
bigpapa said:
I used the cheapy face masks,

No expoy I just didn't have a long enough mandrel to work on that little bump transition area to the lower. The longest mandrel I had was 1.5" shank and 1.5" spindle. It would be nice if I could add a little material in a few places to make better transitions. Also Naz I was concerned about grinding through the 4 bosses where the fuel rails mount. How far can I take them down with out going through?

The head side has been extrude honed, I will see if I can get a pic of it. It's kind of hard to make out due to the oil that has attached it's self to the runners.

Welding will vary from 30 to 60 dollars.
Yeah,

as a minimun that is the type of mask I would wear.

The injector bosses vary in thickness depending on the year intake. Some are thiner than others. If it was a 99 blue dot (extrude hone) there is still quite a bit of material. You could remove o/a 1/16 safetly.

Users who are viewing this thread