Ported Eatons and 91 pump gas?

moparornocar2

Established Member
Just wanted some info from those that know? Realistically, What are the highest HP numbers from ported eatons on 91 pump gas, And My sons whipple puts down 550rwhp on pump 91 gas @ 15lbs and was told (by ls1 guys) That is weak, That ported eatons do that all day long! We tried a ported eaton 2.76 upper and 3lbs lower, Billet Flow idlers,BAS,BAP, cat back, 60#injectors, a larger H/E and got 452Hp on a hot day with no timing but it continued to build heat and loose power. The whipple seems to hold the power level and actually gets 24mpg! What are realistic numbers on pump 91 gas both ways?

Last edited:

sb03cobra

Established Member
First who cares what the LS1 guys think :shrug:

I have a stage III port with a 2.80/ 2 lb set-up and on 91 octane made
497rwhp, 496 rwtq.

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
My coupe (sold) had a 2.93 stage iv port,bassanni x w/catback and steeda cai and i was putting down 499 rwhp w/a canned preditor tune from rwtd.

moparornocar2

Established Member
Do you lose power to heat soak? I guess my point is that he took some "Heat" for buying the whipple and getting only 550RWHP, at 2500 ft. One thing it did also was pick up mileage from about 18mpg on the Eaton. The Eaton would pull good numbers when cooled down but would lose 25-30hp after a few runs in a row.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Right now, without a port, I'm pushing 475 RWHP/500 RWTQ so with a port, I'll be over the 500 RWHP mark easily enough. It just takes all the right supporting modifications as well...

EDIT: It's not common to have a ported Eaton Cobra in the 550 RWHP/550 RWTQ range, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible. I've only seen around 540 RWHP/535 RWTQ max. :read:

Last edited:

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
that whipple combo makes an easy 550rwhp.
an eaton near that is really pushing its limits.
the whipple is not a bad choice it stays cooler, and 15lbs with 550Hp is a great number. I guess what I am trying to say is the whipple just has more potential. as for the Ls1 guys maybe a race will shut them up.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Typical ported Eaton dyno numbers with a 93 octane tune are in the 500-520 RWHP range. Although there have been claims of 550 RWHP, these have not been substantiated and are generally results from specific dynos that measure a certain way.

A safe 91 octane tune will obviously net you lower numbers.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IronTerp said:
Typical ported Eaton dyno numbers with a 93 octane tune are in the 500-520 RWHP range. Although there have been claims of 550 RWHP, these have not been substantiated and are generally results from specific dynos that measure a certain way.

A safe 91 octane tune will obviously net you lower numbers.
Yes indeed. The highest I remember seeing here (documented) was around 520rwhp. There have been those couple of claims of around 550rwhp but I've never seen them substantiated/documented. So until proven otherwise, the limit with a ported Eaton without nitrous seems to be around 520-525.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
moparornocar2 said:
Just wanted some info from those that know? Realistically, What are the highest HP numbers from ported eatons on 91 pump gas, And My sons whipple puts down 550rwhp on pump 91 gas @ 15lbs and was told (by ls1 guys) That is weak, That ported eatons do that all day long! We tried a ported eaton 2.76 upper and 3lbs lower, Billet Flow idlers,BAS,BAP, cat back, 60#injectors, a larger H/E and got 452Hp on a hot day but it continued to build heat and loose power. The whipple seems to hold the power level and actually gets 24mpg! What are realistic numbers on pump 91 gas both ways?

I don't recall seeing anyone on this site claiming 550 rwhp on 91 with the Eaton. If such a claim has been made I would love to see 2 or 3 other dyno's pull that same number before I would be a believer.

From what I have seen the vast majority of ported Eatons on 91 make between 480 - 510 rwhp.

moparornocar2

Established Member
03nightmare said:
that whipple combo makes an easy 550rwhp.
an eaton near that is really pushing its limits.
the whipple is not a bad choice it stays cooler, and 15lbs with 550Hp is a great number. I guess what I am trying to say is the whipple just has more potential. as for the Ls1 guys maybe a race will shut them up.

He has raced a number of them (has not lost yet), The comments have supposedly from someone (a troll) that gets his info here? We only have poor quality 91 that might really be closer to 89, So we cannot push the PSI too much. That is the problem as many look to the internet and see something done in ideal conditiond and assume it can happen everywhere.Our Eaton setup had 17 dyno runs on four different occasions and those were the highest numbers we could get.

As for the whipple , we put on a 18lb pulley,added 101 race gas,and made one run,The run was aborted at 4000rpm because of a miss, But it was near 600rwhp and 560TQ. It also was putting a little over 20lbs of boost!? We found a weak coil (fixed), But have not had time to get back to the dyno (230 miles). So for now we are running the street tune on what is avalible. Thanks for the info.

RCMPSVT

Established Member
550 @ 15psi is not weak, guys an idiot if u ask me.

My ported eaton at 15psi with 94octane is putting down 485/500 and that is on a very conservative tune.

Users who are viewing this thread