Ported Eaton Swap or On 3 Turbo Kit on '01

Teksid89

Don't Tread On Me
Established Member
Looking to make as much usable power as my stock TR3650 tranny & rear end can handle. Price is a factor. Engine is a Ford Racing Alluminator (9.8:1 compression) UPR coilover/K-member delete kit. Lethal budget return fuel system (dual Walbro pumps, #60 injectors) upgraded ignition system & plugs. 3.73 gears. A few various extras. Race on Track over Strip so low end power is preferable although the more the better. Take on occasional road trips (OCMD). All Help/Suggestions appreciated!!

Adiabatik

Banned
Forget the PD route. They are at the bottom of the list when it comes to power-adder performance. With a 98 CR, a turbo would friggin' haul! Have you thought about a centri setup? It would probably be cheaper than a turbo and be up therein performance.

Teksid89

Don't Tread On Me
Established Member
I'm not a fan of centris because Everyone has them, I don't like the idea of essentially a belt-driven turbo, and with what i've seen very few make over 500rwhp & those that do are $$. Reliability is also a factor in my decision. Originally planned on turbo but thought a ported eaton swap would be cheaper & more reliable, also liked the idea of no lag being i take my car to the track. However, I've found that getting everything necessary for a PEaton swap would be a hassle & more $..

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
I'm not a fan of centris because Everyone has them, I don't like the idea of essentially a belt-driven turbo, and with what i've seen very few make over 500rwhp & those that do are $$. Reliability is also a factor in my decision.

Needs more research. Most centris are set up wrong. I think more people do the twin screw route.

Teksid89

Don't Tread On Me
Established Member
Regardless they cost in the 4-5k range where as both the ported eaton & turbo can be done for under 2-3k

Last edited:

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
If you go with the eaton your going to end up with the twin screw and if you go turbos your going end up with bigger ones. Just do it all at once and be done with it. So any route is going to cost 5k-10k done right

I'm doing a 03 cobra from a Kenne bell to a Paxton and haven't spent more then 3k cause I can find what I want. But things are going to Produce 500 plus and be reliable for years of abuse is going to cost money plane and simple. The cheap shit like on3 that's 3k isnnt going to hurt you pocket book right now, but later it's going to cost you.

Gotta pay to play.

Regardless; if your going to mod cars do it right the first time and don't be cheap or cut corners. If it takes longer cause it cost more so be it. That or your going to be fixing something constantly and end up costing more money and more down time.

itSSlow98

Established Member
You already have the engine and fuel system for a turbo setup. You can turn that up or down with the twist of a knob.

Adiabatik

Banned
I'm not a fan of centris because Everyone has them, I don't like the idea of essentially a belt-driven turbo, and with what i've seen very few make over 500rwhp & those that do are $$. Reliability is also a factor in my decision. Originally planned on turbo but thought a ported eaton swap would be cheaper & more reliable, also liked the idea of no lag being i take my car to the track. However, I've found that getting everything necessary for a PEaton swap would be a hassle & more $..

Ugh SMH. You're obviously new to the FI world so I'll go easy on you.

Do more research......A LOT more research. You are completely clueless. I make 500+rwhp on a 2V and spent exactly $3K on my supercharger setup.

Teksid89

Don't Tread On Me
Established Member
I looked up prices on New Procharger and Vortech kits for my engine and all were over 4k.. Kits are generally rarer and more expensive for the 4V. Thanks for being unnecessarily condescending tho lol

01yellercobra

Established Member
I looked up prices on New Procharger and Vortech kits for my engine and all were over 4k.. Kits are generally rarer and more expensive for the 4V. Thanks for being unnecessarily condescending tho lol

Where do you get they're more rare for the 4V? I've had a D1 and now a Vortech T trim on my car. Plenty of them out there. And most are easily capable of 500+ on a 4v.

There's a guy that used to be on here and sold complete Eaton swap kits. I think I was quoted $2500 when I was looking.

As for turbo, start saving for a custom kit. When I was looking into it, it seemed like everyone ended up changing out most of an off the shelf kit. And don't forget to factor in the front suspension. That's something a blower doesn't need.

I'm just curious, but what FI'd cars have you ridden in or driven?

Last edited:

Adiabatik

Banned

Not unnecessarily. You don't have a single clue as to what you're talking about.

watman02

Established Member
I say go turbo as they are cheaper to upgrade later than say going from and eaton to a kb/whipple.
But you can beat the instant torque the eaton makes! You can size the turbo so there is less lag but it wont flow up top. so its more of a decison of what do u want the car to do? Also i only have alittle over 3200$ in my eaton swap.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and don't buy anything from ON3, just my oponion, but don't say you havent been warned lol. there kits are much cheaper for a reason. Iv seen lots of fitment issues with them too.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
My budget is roughly 3k. My trans (TR3650) & rear are stock. I like to race road course.
You could piece together a centri kit for that if you can scoop up a good price on the head unit.. FYI I have a stock T-45,clutch and IRS in mine plus my axles are 28 spline yours are 31..

Users who are viewing this thread