Ported blower setup with stock exhaust?

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Going to Steigemeier's this spring for a Stage 5 with a 2.93 pulley. Right now my exhaust is stock and the car is stock except for a K&N air filter, sub frame connecters, and a shifter.

I'm not sure I want to change the exhaust, sometimes I enjoy the mellow quiet sound (it helps a Redfire vert stay under the radar) but there are times when I'd like a little more rumble.

What am I giving up by not putting the exhaust on with a ported pullied combo? IF I did go aftermarket cat back I'd pick the Magnaflow system.

Thoughts? Comments?

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
I cant really speak from experience, but I would imagine that with 4 cats and stock diameter piping and mufflers, you are loosing quite a bit of hp...

MustangThief

Established Member
I cant really speak from experience, but I would imagine that with 4 cats and stock diameter piping and mufflers, you are loosing quite a bit of hp...

The 4 cats is what is going to rob you.

If you are interested in a meaner, but not ridiculous sound, and more power, why not go with a proven set up?

Like bassani mid-pipe with high-flow cats?

You'll still free up a lot of HP, get a meaner sound, and still be able to pass E-check.

I went with the O/R midpipe though, F cats :p

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Just go with a Catted H-pipe and see how you like it. That thing will make some damn good torque if you do keep it stock. It'll peak faster in the rpm's though.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I have bassani's with no cats and an H. It has a nice tone but when you get on it it scares people. Well it does now since i lost the axle back pipes for the solid axle.:burnout:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Just go with a Catted H-pipe and see how you like it. That thing will make some damn good torque if you do keep it stock. It'll peak faster in the rpm's though.

Well this explains something I have been wondering about. As my ported blower (home) + 2.93 with a lower on stock mid pipe + intake made 530 something TQ. Upon looking back at my past dynos I noticed that as my power went up my peak HP level fell back lower in RPM range. I swear my TQ is so high is b/c I have the stock mid pipe.

In summary = good input POSI

Last edited:

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
sorry to hijack the thread OH3cobra I'm in the same boat as you I want power but no noise. I have jba header and stock h-pipe and fr500 catback. Lazerred98cobra I also have fr500 catback I want to go catted h-pipe But don't know how loud it well get with it. Do you have a video sound clip of your setup? Once again sorry for the thread hijack.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
my cobra has a ported eaton and bbk long tube headers, it also has a flowmaster H pipe with flowmaster tips. its got a s#%t load of torque

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=msdiehMUL-c"]YouTube - 2004 mustang cobra[/ame]

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
There have been quite a few guys just go with a catback and make big power. The catback on these cars is very restrictive, if you enjoy the mellow sound and just want a little more rumble the Magnaflow catback with stock mid-pipe is a good choice. With a ported/pullied setup you can plan on leaving 20-30 hp on the table with a full stock exhaust.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
thanks for all of the input, I may go with the maggie catback because I'd hate to spend the cash on a port and not reap all of the benefits. besides the increased blower whine may need some competition from the exhaust.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Judging from your mods your numbers are rather low. There is a good bit left on the table, also unless your tuner also ports eatons what would make him say your "eaton is maxed out"

oh i dont really know how my numbers should be.
but he said its maxed out because its the highest stage port and the best size upper pulley. i dont know about the lower pulley.:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread