Ported Blower or Nitrous??

306fordgt

Established Member
I am just wondering what everyone would do if they were in my position? I currently have an 04 Cobra with a 2.93 upper and idlers, Mac long tubes, off road H, M55 exhaust, NGK TR6 plugs, K&N FIPK & and a tune. Other than that the car is 100% stock. The car nice and easy runs a 12.2 at 114ish with a 1.85 60'. I am looking to get the car into the 11.6-11.7 range without driving it too hard. What I mean by that is I lightly ride the clutch around 2500 rpms and shift fairly easy at 6,000rpms. The car right now would easily do 11's but I am not going to powershift or launch this car much harder.

So, what do you think my options are? I was thinking a stage IV ported blower or a shot of nitrous (or even both:burnout: ). I have always liked wet shots, NX to be exact, but the dynotune dry kits look pretty cool. I guess what I am asking is that if this was your car what would you do next?

Also, the clutch is being replaced over the winter and the crossflow cooling mod will be installed.

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited:

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
I would say go with the port job first. Nitrous is a great bang for the buck power adder but worrying about having to fill the bottle back up & bottle pressure can be a little bit of a pain. Still a great buy though.

But if you decide that you want more than the port then I would just add the nitrous. The port & nitrous combo is a great setup.

Obviously it all comes down to what you want to do. :thumbsup:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
First thing you're not being easy on your car because you're shifting at 6,000rpm's. You're being smart because there isn't much power at all past 6,000rpms'. Next you'll need a lower with the ported blower and a few other things. I would go with the ported blower because the power is there constantly and it's "easier on your engine".

306fordgt

Established Member
If I add a lower pulley won't I be substantially over spinning the blower? Granted that if I am racing the car I am not being "easy" on the car. I guess I should say I just want enough power to run in the 11.6-11.7 range without having to drive it like I stole it.

Paul

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Port it!

You'll love the port! It'll REALLY wakes up the car.

After the port, if you feel like you need more power, then look into nitrous. But for the time being, a ported blower would be a much easier solution to you wanting more power.

Last edited:

306fordgt

Established Member
AdrianG said:
I would port it and put on a 2.76 pulley.

Adrian - I am just wondering what kind of power you are putting to the rear tires with the ported blower and 2.76?

I appreciate all the input, and I am looking into porting the blower first. I am going to do some research and see what supporting mods I need.

If anyone else has some opinions please chime in!

Thanks,

Paul

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Honestly just bring your shift point to 6500 and leave a little harder and you have a 11 sec car. You don't have to run slicks or anything, just control the wheel spin a little better to a 1.7x short time and bam there's your 11. But that's beside the point, I'd personally go with the port for right now. If the funds are there do both, it's a hell of a ride!!! My car with almost the exact mod list you have went 11.9's on Nitto's. I was making 440/440 at the wheels through an email tune. I ported the blower and made 507/472, the car went a best of 11.6 @ 122 on Nitto's once again. Then I swapped to a 2.75 pulley, picked up about a pound of boost and power jumped to 520/497. With the new pulley and a set of ET Streets the car went 11.1 @ 127. Then eventually I got bored of that and happended to come across a steal for a nitrous kit. On a untuned 40 shot the car really woke up and went 10.8 @ 129. I now have it dyno tuned on a 90 shot, the car is an F'ing animal!!!! You don't need a lower pulley with the ported blower, but it will make more power and torque. Technically you're overspinning the blower with the 2.93 you have already, but I wouldn't be worried about it. How often do you hear about these blowers failing......never. Just spin the shit out of it and enjoy the ride!!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
96stanggt said:
Honestly just bring your shift point to 6500 and leave a little harder and you have a 11 sec car. Technically you're overspinning the blower with the 2.93 you have already, but I wouldn't be worried about it./QUOTE]

He'll be overspinning the engine if he shifts at 6500rpm's. I hope you're not talking about shifting at 6500 through 4th.:shrug: There's no need to do this because the engine/blower in these cars are done at 6200rpm's and if you do it will slow you down! No technically he's not overspinning the blower with just the 2.93 upper either. So just port the blower and buy the lower and you'll be good to go.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
posi said:
He'll be overspinning the engine if he shifts at 6500rpm's. I hope you're not talking about shifting at 6500 through 4th.:shrug: There's no need to do this because the engine/blower in these cars are done at 6200rpm's and if you do it will slow you down! No technically he's not overspinning the blower with just the 2.93 upper either. So just port the blower and buy the lower and you'll be good to go.

No he won't be "overspinning" the engine, these cars make plenty of power up to that rpm. It won't slow you down, I've been down the track 125+ times and on the dyno dozens of times in this car. I've tried all kinds of different shift points. Settting the light at 6300 so I shift by 6500 has netted me by far the best times. I'm running 11.1 @ 127 on an upper only full weight car, do you really think my shift point is slowing me down? Not to sound like an ass but I'm speaking from experience. As far as the blower yes he is spinning his blower past the maximum rpm's they are designed for. Max is 15,500, his 2.93 is spinning it at 16,860. My point was he was already overspinning it and had no idea, so don't be worried about it just pulley the shit out of it and have fun. I know you weren't around back in the day but the big topic was how quickly the blower/motor would grenade if you ran a pulley smaller than a 3.10. Then we had guys running 2.76/6lb combos and running some sick times, and almost no blower failures. Unfortunately you get a lot of guys on this site speaking out of their ass by listening to other guys who are speaking out of their ass. Just because you read it on the forums don't believe it's like the damn bible, take your advice from the guys who have actually been there.....actually taken the car down the track....actually driven the damn thing and seen what works and doesn't. Just throw a ported blower on your car as it sits and you have an easy 11 man, you don't need a lower to port the blower. Good luck!

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
Why do people think you have to shift as soon as the car stops increasing in power? It's not like the car won't continue to accelerate. Remember, it's all about average power in each gear. Let me explain.

My max horsepower (stock pulley, 400 rwhp) on the dyno flat lines at around 5700 rpms and stays there until redline... if I were to shift right at 5700 and say my rpms dropped by 1500 to 4200 for the next gear, I would start in that gear making 300 rwhp with an average of ~350 rwhp throughout the gear.

Now if I wait to shift until 6200 and my rpms drop by 1500 down to 4700 for the next gear, where my car is making 340 rwhp, this would give me an average of ~380 rwhp through the gear. Which scenario do you think will be faster down the track?

Last edited:

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
a ported blower will put you into the 11.6 range considering what you are running now. However you may have to install a lower or push 16psi to do so.
It sounds to me like you would be happier with a port. just for the simply fact you have a set goal to achieve. a port and nitrous would definetly run a low 11 or mid 10 sec. that in itself opens up many supporting mods. I say look at your budget. port is cheaper. And yes safer. Nitrous works good but it will always be in the back of your mind wondering when the next pass could be your last. I have nitrous on my car and wouldn't trade it for anything other than the new 3.4 whipple. I'd say ask yourself what you want in your car.
I wanted a nice daily driver that could still turn into a monster at the flip of a switch, thats why I went with nitrous. Good luck man.

Fuerza

Established Member
306fordgt said:
Adrian - I am just wondering what kind of power you are putting to the rear tires with the ported blower and 2.76?

I appreciate all the input, and I am looking into porting the blower first. I am going to do some research and see what supporting mods I need.

If anyone else has some opinions please chime in!

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, I haven't been on the dyno. FWIW my fuel pumps are pegged at 5500 RPM's. Once I get my fuel situation worked out. I will jump on the dyno.

Users who are viewing this thread