Ported blower doesn’t sound the same!

mark23svt

Established Member
Hey guys I had sold my car to my cousin few years back but he decided to sell it so I got it back. I got it back fairly cheap BUT it needs a lot of TLC, he did not take care of it. Anyways I’ve been fixing issues and one thing I remember it used to scream pretty loud when you would get on it. Now I can’t really hear it, the boost gauge jumps and the car still moves just doesn’t sound anything close to what it used too. It used to sound like my Trx (with slight pedal it wants to scream) now just don’t hear it at all. Car has 99k miles, full bolt ons, ported blower, 4lb lower and 2.93 upper.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do you have an actual boost gauge so you can tell what it's really doing? A jumping needle and a memory of a sound isn't much to go by.

mark23svt

Established Member
Do you have an actual boost gauge so you can tell what it's really doing? A jumping needle and a memory of a sound isn't much to go by.
No I don’t have a boost gauge. But I mean my wife even asked me why she can’t hear supercharger anymore like at all. It was just weird to me. But your right not a real boost gauge just the one on the cluster.

LS WUT

Established Member
So I’ve got to admit, my hellcat screams no matter what. They’re loud blowers. What’s your CAI? I’d make Sure you’re actually in boost too. Those needles are not a good representation. That’s why a vast majority of us have an alternative boost gauge.

LS WUT

Established Member
If he didn’t take good care of it, I’d clean up the filter, clean the throttle body too. Little things like that help.

mark23svt

Established Member
So I’ve got to admit, my hellcat screams no matter what. They’re loud blowers. What’s your CAI? I’d make Sure you’re actually in boost too. Those needles are not a good representation. That’s why a vast majority of us have an alternative boost gauge.
So I’ve done so far, plugs, oil, air filter , new oil sending unit, new idler bearings, new fuel rail pressure sensor. But I do have to get a boost gauge.

01yellercobra

Established Member
No I don’t have a boost gauge. But I mean my wife even asked me why she can’t hear supercharger anymore like at all. It was just weird to me. But your right not a real boost gauge just the one on the cluster.
I'd get a mechanical boost gauge and see what it says. Then go from there. Could be as simple as needing a new belt to the blower needing to be rebuilt.

MG0h3

Established Member
First, call him and ask if he changed anything.

Added cats maybe?

The factory boost gauge is fine. You said it “jumps”. What psi does it hold?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mark23svt

Established Member
He said he didn’t move anything just alternator (which I forgot to mention I just fixed the belt shredding issue) I put new belt and new idlers hoping that fixes the issue but car moves ok just doesn’t like it used too. And I’ll get a boost gauge later. Also has a pretty loud exhaust leak but I think from headers.

mark23svt

Established Member
8FE73819-FD03-47CB-BE52-2ECF93FA55DB.jpeg03962EBD-E1B9-4572-85FA-C65BEED0C074.jpeg

LS WUT

Established Member
I mean could be possible there is a vacuum leak, if it doesn’t hold pressure and just spikes up. On a side note I love the sonic blue. Trying to add one to my collection, seems hard these days. Beautiful cobras. I love my Ow coupe as well.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
During those few years your cousin owned it, how often did you ride in it? If the answer is "never" or "once or twice", maybe it's possible you aren't really remembering how it used to sound but are more focused as how it sounds todays. Based on what I'm reading, I see nothing that would dramatically affect how loud the blower is. If you verify that the boost is fine, I wouldn't be overly fixated on it now being not as loud as you kind of remember.

Who did the porting, and how long did you drive with it before selling?

mark23svt

Established Member
Thank man sonic blue is very nice color. And yes hardly never drove it. It’s a stage 4 steigmeir port. But even my wife noticed it, she asked me why isn’t she screaming. But you guys are right without a proper boost gauge. Or maybe goes into boost cuz of the lower pulley but it ain’t pulling like it’s suppose to. It does have 100k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread