Ported, 2.93, lower pulley

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
With a fully ported blower, 2.93 pulley, MAFia, and new HE, what other mods would I need (or recommended) to go with a:

-2lb lower
-4lb lower

Thinking about going with the 2lb to keep my GS-D3's in good shape and last longer but 4lb to get the max power I'm shooting for. Choices :shrug:

I might not even go with any lower though. So many issues I've come across during my searches. :(

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Food for thought (again).... Its a good 60 degrees here this morning. Rolling at 50mph. Stuck it in second on a stretch of road that was open... My 315s ripped up in smoke, car was all over the road, and the blower pegged 12lbs of boost. I had to let off so I wasn't cleaning shit off my seats when I got to work. This is only at 500hp/450tq.

I have a 2.9, port, and exhaust. Unless you're a track whore, I just recommend the upper pulley and a port on a daily driven street car. You go to the track twice a month, and I'd say get a 2.9/6lb with a port with some REALLLY sticky tires.

Just my opinion. There are others who would disagree.

Oh, if you search this, there are quite a few running the 2.9/4lb and love it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
DKS2814V said:
Food for thought (again).... Its a good 60 degrees here this morning. Rolling at 50mph. Stuck it in second on a stretch of road that was open... My 315s ripped up in smoke, car was all over the road, and the blower pegged 12lbs of boost. I had to let off so I wasn't cleaning shit off my seats when I got to work. This is only at 500hp/450tq.

I have a 2.9, port, and exhaust. Unless you're a track whore, I just recommend the upper pulley and a port on a daily driven street car. You go to the track twice a month, and I'd say get a 2.9/6lb with a port with some REALLLY sticky tires.

Just my opinion. There are others who would disagree.

Oh, if you search this, there are quite a few running the 2.9/4lb and love it.
Be careful because not all cars with a 2.90 upper and ported blower are making 12 lbs. of boost. Some make 13 and others 14 lbs. With a 2.90 upper & ported blower I made 14 lbs. So in my case a 6 lb. lower would have been a bit too much. A 4 lb. would be about all I'd want to try. It is always wise to check actual boost levels before going with a particular lower crank pulley because different supporting mods will affect boost levels. When I switched to a 2.80 my boost went to 16 lbs.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I would look at fuel delivery .. (BAP or Pumps and injectors) ..

Crowley

Christian

Ready To Run
Established Member
DKS2814V and CobraBob are right.

There is a concern with drivability once you reach the higher boost levels - if driven everyday (I see you're in Southern California so traffic is always a concern). On a daily, you'll be the only one to decide how far you want to take the car. If my memory serves correctly, the lower pulley was to combat some of the lost torque issues that people have been experiencing with a ported blower (this was during the early days of porting trend). Stieg recommends that with the Stage III port, a 2.93/4 combo will achieve optimal power gains. Another area for you to think about is heat. Heat can have consequences on how well your car will perform. SoCal, being what it is, will cause your car to run differently than one in a cooler climate part of the country (elevation too, but we'll save that for another day).

I believe DKS2814V stated the he's only running an upper and still spinning his tires beyond drivability when he hits it. CobraBob was seeing 16#s with just his 2.80 (keeping in mind that his numbers were based on one of the original Apten/Stieg ports).

There's really no way to determine what is right for you... it's too subjective. The recommendation would be to get the port. Run it with an upper only. Get a good read via datalogging. Drive it for few runs. Ultimately make the right choice for your driving needs and pleasure.

Good luck:beer:

Christian

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
Christian said:
DKS2814V and CobraBob are right.

There is a concern with drivability once you reach the higher boost levels - if driven everyday (I see you're in Southern California so traffic is always a concern). On a daily, you'll be the only one to decide how far you want to take the car. If my memory serves correctly, the lower pulley was to combat some of the lost torque issues that people have been experiencing with a ported blower (this was during the early days of porting trend). Stieg recommends that with the Stage III port, a 2.93/4 combo will achieve optimal power gains. Another area for you to think about is heat. Heat can have consequences on how well your car will perform. SoCal, being what it is, will cause your car to run differently than one in a cooler climate part of the country (elevation too, but we'll save that for another day).

I believe DKS2814V stated the he's only running an upper and still spinning his tires beyond drivability when he hits it. CobraBob was seeing 16#s with just his 2.80 (keeping in mind that his numbers were based on one of the original Apten/Stieg ports).

There's really no way to determine what is right for you... it's too subjective. The recommendation would be to get the port. Run it with an upper only. Get a good read via datalogging. Drive it for few runs. Ultimately make the right choice for your driving needs and pleasure.

Good luck:beer:

Christian

thats some great advice, build on what you have & take it from there to the next step.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
It really does come down to being subjective like Christian said. What do you want to do with the car?

Personally, I wanted a raping street car, but I didn't want to deal with any other serious issues. My set up (port/2.9RR) is perfect for me. I prey on Vipers and Z's, and I still drive to work everyday, can still run street tires and it looks stock.

I have no idea how the whipple/kb guys keep their cars going straight without some sticky tires. And its the sticky tires I didn't want to deal with due to replacement and rainy weather driving...

I recommend an upper pulley only for any street driven car.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Okay! I'm sticking with the upper only and port based on all the responses. Thanks for all the help! :thumbsup:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
DKS2814V said:
I recommend an upper pulley only for any street driven car.
This was my thoughts too up until a year ago. I made the plunge to a 2.90/4 lb combo last November and in the last 11 months have seen the "Combo" approach totally take off! With the right cooling mods, the extra boost the combo approach gives you is a blast on the street IMO and I have 9,000 miles on my setup now. We've had no less than 15 MACA Cobras go combo in the last 5 months alone.

I think it actually presents more problems at the track than on the street because of traction issues due to 525+ ft lbs of torque

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
IronTerp said:
This was my thoughts too up until a year ago. I made the plunge to a 2.90/4 lb combo last November and in the last 11 months have seen the "Combo" approach totally take off! With the right cooling mods, the extra boost the combo approach gives you is a blast on the street IMO and I have 9,000 miles on my setup now. We've had no less than 15 MACA Cobras go combo in the last 5 months alone.

I think it actually presents more problems at the track than on the street because of traction issues due to 525+ ft lbs of torque
Hmm, I'm starting to reconsider. I see you don't have any fuel supporting mods. Is it doing fine? Is your voltage ok? What alternator pulley are you running? Belt size?

Last edited:

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
Mike_Hawk said:
Hmm, I'm starting to reconsider. I see you don't have any fuel supporting mods. Is it doing fine? Is your voltage ok? What alternator pulley are you running? Belt size?

I am running a ported blower, plenum, and tb..2.93 and 4lb lower without any fuel mods as well. I did use up an alternator, though. I had the 3.5 alt pulley on and I believe that was the culprit. I went with a PA 130 amp and put the sock pulley back on and have had no trouble so far. Good luck!

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Slow04Cobra said:
I am running a ported blower, plenum, and tb..2.93 and 4lb lower without any fuel mods as well. I did use up an alternator, though. I had the 3.5 alt pulley on and I believe that was the culprit. I went with a PA 130 amp and put the sock pulley back on and have had no trouble so far. Good luck!
Can you give me more info on the PA unit? And should I stick with the stock alt pulley or go with a 3.2?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Mike_Hawk said:
Fuel system is fine at present, but I'm going to go with a BAP when/if I do the Stage 3+ port. Running stock alternator pulley at present with no problems, but I pick and choose my times to be aggresive and "TRY NOT" to abuse the car too much.

Belt is a 79.5 Gates, but I do not run an auxillary idler, although I do run Doug's beauties in replacement of the factory idlers.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Go with a 4 lb lower with that 2.93 upper, probably the best pulley combo on the planet for a car without headers. I recommend a 2.93/6lb combo for those with headers.

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
I do have a 2.93 and a 4lb lower .
TR6's would be fine Gap to .30 . In CA i don't know about the air , but in MD my car is a beast. I need a tighter belt to keep the 16 lbs of boost without slip though .
take it slow and learn the car otherwise it may get out of control...

Last edited:

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
Mike_Hawk said:
Can you give me more info on the PA unit? And should I stick with the stock alt pulley or go with a 3.2?

PA is a direct replacement. The oulley they send with it is MICRO, though. I first went with a 3.5 alt pulley when I did the 4lb lower, but it was too big. I went back with the stocker and it has been fine thus far.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
sambandit said:
Go with a 4 lb lower with that 2.93 upper, probably the best pulley combo on the planet for a car without headers. I recommend a 2.93/6lb combo for those with headers.
Sounds good.

Hey, I emailed you before about a grill for my HE. Are you still selling them? I need one ;-)

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Okay, so I'm going with the 4lb lower and 130 amp alternator. I supoose I'll need the BAP with the ported blower?

Will injectors be necessary?

Would the alternator pulley be necessary as well?

It's late and I'm very sleepy. Sorry if I'm asking questions already answered or asking too many. I can't afford to screw this up and at the same I can't afford to get mods I don't need. :read:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread