porsche loses it at 224 MPH

LS3

Cobra has been Terminated
Established Member
killerSVTcobra said:
It appears to me that he has had a little seat time in that car.

Dude at those speeds, its becomes unpredictable. He stayed pretty calm from the looks of it, and controlled it pretty well if you asked me.:shrug:

Read his post again.. amazing what a difference the letter "a" can make... :beer:

I agree he must know the car very well. He straightened out the wheel before the car even began to come back around. He must have known the car would do that and anticipated it... Impressive.

taintedme

Established Member
oh, should've added the writeup:

"The Joetwint Porsche 996 is scary fast. Twint scored a world record top speed of 231.4 mph in the Texas Mile, and at a recent run the Evolution Motorsports-tuned 911 managed to hit 224.711 mph, but it also had a bit of a spill. Hit the jump to watch video of the massively-boosted 996 take off like a rocket and reach speeds of over 200 mph in a matter seconds. The video would be impressive enough even if it were simply a standard run, but this clip has a bit of a surprise ending.

About 54 seconds in, the incredibly high speeds achieved by the 996 prompted the sunroof to pop right off. That's bad when you're going 85, but when you're cruising at nearly one third the speed of sound, it can be catastrophic. A few seconds after the impromptu top-popping, the 996 gets sideways and ends up taking an unscheduled tiptoe through the weeds. The video is pretty entertaining, but it's also informative. If you're building a world-beating track star capable of speeds of over 200 mph, don't opt for the sunroof."

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Also helping this car get straight was the fact that it had a chute on it. He went sideways as SOON as the chute was pulled (didn't see the top pop at the finish line). Definitely was crazy. In car vid doesn't look NEARLY as dramatic as it looked in person from the sidelines!

Black porsche that spun at the 1/2 mile mark was probably crazier to watch. He did about 9-10 360s!!!

William

moot09

Established Member
Maybe just me but I think you can see him down shift a few seconds after he lets off which caused the wheels the back in to come out. Pretty crazy nonetheless, I know I wouldve pooped a lil lol

GHIG RTR

Banned
I was thinking that maybe there was a bad crosswind that caught the parachute which caused it to go sideways. I know that had happened with a car at our local track.

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
Read his post again.. amazing what a difference the letter "a" can make... :beer:

I agree he must know the car very well. He straightened out the wheel before the car even began to come back around. He must have known the car would do that and anticipated it... Impressive.

LOL ok i think he edited it cause i saw "hasn't" in there somewhere :lol:

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Car had no significant damage. He drove it to the timing station and besides a little grass int he bumper and underneath you'd have never known.

William

Users who are viewing this thread