Porsche GT3 Cup car ride along at Sebring

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
So this past weekend I had the chance to ride shotgun with Pro driver L.P. Dumoulin, who came in 2nd for GTC class last year at the 12 Hours of Sebring in a GT3 cup car. The car is a World Challenge spec Porsche GT3 Cup, specs are 450hp and 2,900lbs, but the specs do not do this car justice. It is absolutely on rails and I've never been in a car with that kind of grip level.

The flat-out hot laps start at the 4:25 mark; first lap is more of a warm-up.

GT3 Cup Car Ride Along at Sebring - YouTube

Lowest_Frequenc

Established Member
Kudos to holding that camera as well as you did.
Real fun to watch!

How'd you manage to get yourself into the situation?

96 cobra

Established Member
Wow, very cool!

Was this more of a one-off opportunity, or part of a driving course etc?

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Kudos to holding that camera as well as you did.
Real fun to watch!

How'd you manage to get yourself into the situation?

haha, it was actually mounted to my helmet (GoPro camera).

This was at a Chin Motorsports HPDE event at Sebring, and I just asked the owner of the car if he'd let me ride shotgun once he was done his coaching session with L.P., figuring the worst that he could say was "no", and on the other hand it would be the coolest ride in a car I've ever had. Turned out the owner was a really cool, down to earth guy, one of the nicest people I've met at these events. It aint cheap to run that car either, so I made sure he knew how much I appreciated his generosity.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Wow, very cool!

Was this more of a one-off opportunity, or part of a driving course etc?

Yeah this was a HPDE, basically bring your own car to run laps on track. There were a few race teams testing out there this weekend too, it was pretty cool. We had a bunch of Ferrari challenge cars (360, 430 and 458) show up in their massive 2 story rigs.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I rode in a 2012 GT2 RS, a 200k+ car from porche, and at the moment its fastest production car I believe. I got a ride along at MAM in Iowa, it was the most violent yet fastest thing I have ever been in, I felt car-sick the entire time and atleast an hour afterwards. It really makes you think how Porsche and its engineers just build amazing track machines, and they've been doing it for 50+ years.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
OMFG, that was amazing! The noise!!!! Thanks for sharing man, amazing machine.

haha anytime. i know, i am absolutely obsessed with the sound of the exhaust and the roaring, high pitch whine from the transmission, with the sequential shifter.... drool

Users who are viewing this thread