Popping sound from rear

blacksnake04

Need for Speed
Established Member
Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what the cause may be? I didn't see this one on the faq.

I hear a pop, sort of like a suction cup pop, from the rear of the car usually when turning at a slow speed. Doesn't do it all the time but it's becoming more and more frequent. When it does happen there's only a single pop, always.

I'm guessing rear shocks or something in the IRS.

I love this car ... when the tires don't vibrate, the dash doesn't rattle and the rear end doesn't "pop".

cobra101

Established Member
Does it happen more often on an incline? Mine did it on inclines only, but it went away after I had the steering creek fix. Go figure. Now my creek is back but the pop is still gone :)

cdh027

Established Member
Rearend pop may be fixed by the front 12mm to 14mm bolt mod. I dont remember which thread it was and with the search down, it makes it difficult. Could anyone shed some light on this for him ?

blacksnake04

Need for Speed
Established Member
No, doesn't have to be on an incline. I think the first few times I heard it I was turning slow on a steep incline. Sometimes it will even pop on a straight take off but usually only when turning.

TRBO VNM

I think I have the same thing, but not sure. The dealer did the retorque TSB that was out and it eliminated it for about 2 weeks. Now it does it sometimes, but nothing near as much as before. I almost don't even notice it.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
My dealer said the pop was normal..
They also said the paint defects were normal.
As well as the occasional popping sound from my tranny when I Let the clutch out in neutral.
They also said the clunk sound in the rear of the car is normal.
As well as the clunk sound from my tranny when letting off from acceleration.
Dont get me wrong, these are minor things, that only happen occasionally.
But they happen more often than they should for a 30,000 $ ride.
Everytime I have called SVT about the issues, they tell me to go to my dealer.
First they tell me they dont hear anything.
then they say its normal..
Hell, I wish everytime a customer callem me with a problem @ my job I could just tell them it was normal..
I love my car though.
But whadduya do?
Lin

capnlbj

Beam Me Up Scotty!
Established Member
Any problem I've had, like those mentioned above have been fixed by my S. GA dealer. Gotta find a good dealer!

adam

Established Member
Took mine in with the problem with 5K miles and they couldn't find anything, took it back with 11K and they replaced to 14mm bolts and no more popping.

I had the same problem you are describing.

nugen

Established Member
Like any high powered car there is going to be some lash in the tranny, I think that is normal. I noticed the pop too, but I figured that it would go away as I broke the car in, it hasn't. This is a good thread.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I had the pop/tink on take off, mostly from the left side.

The dealer replaced the whole IRS and it went away (imagine that).
Now I have a pop on the right side and one of the half shaft boots are split open :(

I have heard the problem has to do with the splines on the hubs and half shafts and the cough cough quality of the machining.

The price we pay for the fun we have :coolman:

-Brian

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
There are plenty of TSB's how to fix the '"pop" from ford. If you take it to your dealer there is plenty of info and things to do to fix it. It also depends on which noise it is. There are different ones. Make sure that you ride with either the tech who's going to work on it or the shop foreman so they get it fixed correctly.

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
I have a pop or click sound when I start off from a dead stop:shrug: It only does it when I'm starting off. Any idea about that. I know it's not the trany clunk it's a totally different sound.

Users who are viewing this thread