Popping on Deceleration

dowchr

Established Member
I recently bought a 2007 Shelby GT500. It has full length headers, off road h-pipe and Corsa axle back mufflers. My question is this, there is an enormous amount of popping through the exhaust on deceleration. If I push the clutch in it goes away. Anyone have the same issue? Is this normal? Anyway to fix it? I don't want to put the cast back on due to melting.

I should also mention that it has a 2013 TVS blower swap and was tune.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I recently bought a 2007 Shelby GT500. It has full length headers, off road h-pipe and Corsa axle back mufflers. My question is this, there is an enormous amount of popping through the exhaust on deceleration. If I push the clutch in it goes away. Anyone have the same issue? Is this normal? Anyway to fix it? I don't want to put the cast back on due to melting.

I should also mention that it has a 2013 TVS blower swap and was tune.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Call your tuner. You can get rid of some of it but probably not all. You HAVE deleted two items that quell most decel popping. So, it's not going to be like stock.

Bj

nxhappy

Established Member
could be a lean condition on decel from exhaust leak, check all exhaust points ...

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Wow. Most Mustang guys WANT the popping on deceleration. It's not an "issue," it's sort of a feature. My car popped sometimes even when it was stock. I actually get less popping now with my Corsa mufflers than I did with the stock ones.

dowchr

Established Member
My car pops like crazy. At some point I'm going to piss off me neighbors but, I don't really like them any way. :)

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Wow. Most Mustang guys WANT the popping on deceleration. It's not an "issue," it's sort of a feature. My car popped sometimes even when it was stock. I actually get less popping now with my Corsa mufflers than I did with the stock ones.

+1. Mine would sometimes pop on decel when I was running the stock blower.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member

yeah mine with Borla Stingers, ARH longtubes and o/r-x pops and rumbles a lot and I think it sounds awesome. I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

Black Sex

Established Member
I get a little decal pop. Mainly when the engine is cold. SW LT's, O/R hpipe, stock catback

03Steve

Established Member
I have fixed this on multiple cars through tuning. The popping is fuel igniting in the headers. The timing in the spark under deceleration table needs to be increased.

00Whitey

Established Member
I get the popping as well, full tubes, off road x and Corsa's. This may sound like BS, but try the new Shell premium fuel. I've ran a few tanks and it deffinently made a difference and all but went away. Had to switch back to another premium and popping returned. Duno, coincidence or what.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Get the car on a lift, and have an assistant plug up both exhaust outlets with a good leather work glove or a heavy duty towel, have him really seal off the exhaust with the car idling, holding it tight. Listen for the exhaust "fizzing" out any loose exhaust joints. It only takes a few seconds for this test, don't do it longer than 20 to 30s.

Under decel, if you have leaks, you will be pulling in air, causing the pops. YMMV

usmc_mustang

Established Member
It happens to mine also with a Lethal H and borla touring. IT has been leaked checked and has some added spark on decal. The spark on decal helped as BJ pointed out but there is still times that it occurs. Just something you have to live with after removing the cats.

DGladhill

Established Member
It happens to mine also with a Lethal H and borla touring. IT has been leaked checked and has some added spark on decal. The spark on decal helped as BJ pointed out but there is still times that it occurs. Just something you have to live with after removing the cats.

Has nothing to do with the cats, I have them and get plenty of popping on decel. Fairly certain I've heard it's the lack of backpressure.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I have fixed this on multiple cars through tuning. The popping is fuel igniting in the headers. The timing in the spark under deceleration table needs to be increased.

This ^^^^^^would be correct. You can get rid of a lot of it by increasing decel spark in the calibration.

bj

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I guess that would be a mileage benefit. The way these cars swill gas, every little bit helps, I suppose. But I like the pops. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread