popping/clunking suspension noise

92stanglx

Established Member
I looked at a car that I was thinking of buying today. When I backedup up or turned right I heard a popping/clunking noise coming from the passenger side suspension.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
It is pretty common. It is the rack and pinion bushings. You can get some revised aftermarket ones but i am not sure where to get them.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Maximum Motorsports makes a aluminum bushing kit for the stock K-Member that will alleviate your issue. I had the same thing i heard every day when backing down my driveway/curb. Installed the bushings, and havent heard it since, and it gives you a nice feeling steering wheel (more precise, added feedback).

I got mine through LethalPerformance.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
maximum motorsports makes a aluminum bushing kit for the stock k-member that will alleviate your issue. I had the same thing i heard every day when backing down my driveway/curb. Installed the bushings, and havent heard it since, and it gives you a nice feeling steering wheel (more precise, added feedback).

I got mine through lethalperformance.

x2

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Maximum Motorsports makes a aluminum bushing kit for the stock K-Member that will alleviate your issue. I had the same thing i heard every day when backing down my driveway/curb. Installed the bushings, and havent heard it since, and it gives you a nice feeling steering wheel (more precise, added feedback).

Definitely a recommended mod for the Terminator. Anything that improves the suspension (at minimal cost) is a good thing. ;-)

92stanglx

Established Member
Interesting... thanks guys! This was actually on a car that I was looking at to buy. I always get nervous when I hear funny suspension noises.. anyway, the car was also very dirty and had red inserts for the seats which I didn't dig at all.

For future reference... will the aluminum bushings be ok for the street? I know that aluminum suspension bushings are sometimes too stiff for the street.

Just curious :)

Juruense

Banned
That sound means you are driving a Cobra... Seriously though it could be many things take it to a mechanic for diagnosis prior to purchase do not go by internet advice pre-purchase.

No one in the thread even asked if it is coming from the front or rear and that is critical to know to diagnose properly.

Last edited:

92stanglx

Established Member
Noise is coming from the passenger side front.

I'm not really interested in that particular car for other reasons. I am just tryin' to get a feel for what some of these issues are so that I am a bit more educated when I look at another one.

Juruense

Banned
If it is the front it could in fact be the rack bushings. I would still get it checked by a mechanic who is actually able to see the car before you buy.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member

Any how-to's around for this?

RL1

Established Member
I have been having the same issue for a couple months now also. When reversing every time I hit the brake pedal I get a pop/clunk/snap sound and can feel it comming from the front center of the car. I can hear it over certain short sharp bumps also. I also get the snap when turning sharp and slow. Searched here and found exactly what I need, just ordered the Aluminum / polly Maximum kit from Lethal also....$44

Any chance that if the bushing is shot bad enough it will throw the alignment off?..Noticed my steering wheel is off by a few degrees to the right about a month or so ago.

Users who are viewing this thread