Pop goes the diff cover

1999marg

Established Member
My 1999 Cobra's diff cover threw in the towel last night at the track. Housing may be toast and I know I snapped the drivers side halfshaft too. Ooo well upgrade ideas? Only 345@ the rear wheels.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Some 4.10's if you plan on staying NA, all new bearings of course, possibly a new pumpkin housing if its that bad, upgrading to at least 01 half shafts but I would find some 03 04's, 31 spline ford diff with carbon clutch pack to match the 31 spline half shafts, trick flow brace, ford pinion brace from the terminators, and the full tilt bushing kit for the front and rear of the diff at the least. I dont think youll break again with that combo at your power level.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
My 1999 Cobra's diff cover threw in the towel last night at the track. Housing may be toast and I know I snapped the drivers side halfshaft too. Ooo well upgrade ideas? Only 345@ the rear wheels.

That sucks. Did you wheel hop and bust it or was it right off the line? What rpm did you launch at? Drag radials or slicks?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Pick out some new gears, 03/04 halfshafts, new 31-spline diff, differential bushings (FTBR), LPW differential cover, and an IRS torque brace. Might as well do all the IRS bushings (FTBR) if you have it all apart. With the above and staying NA, you ought to be good to go.

1999marg

Established Member
I have had 4:10's (first and best mod) ford 03/04 lower diff brace, and IRS bushings (forget the brand) for at least 7 years. I have a set of DR's but was not using them Friday night. Car has 50k miles on it, I drive it but I take car of it. In hind sight I should have double checked the torque spec on my diff's support bolts, and 36mm axle nuts before heading to the track for the first time this season. I would wager that something was loose because I never get wheel hop at the track (sometimes on the street but usually something is loose when I get it). I launched a 3500 rpm (my 2 step setting at the time) hopped hard at the end of first gear (should have lifted and just coasted but I was caught up in the moment). As I shifted into second gear about a half a second later bang. I did not power shift thankfully, otherwise it might have been really ugly. Ooo well live and learn.

Yesterday I had a million things to do plus managed to change the rear shocks and springs on my Saab 9.5 daily driver. So the car is still in the garage waiting for some attention. Off for a bike ride now (before traffic gets ugly) then I was going to at least get the car supported on jackstands. If I have time I will stop by Autozone and pick up a wheel puller and tie rod puller so I can at least drop the diff. Not looking forward to breaking the driveshaft bolts hopefully the diff will allow me to do this.

I will post pictures once everything is out. As for jacking up the car I was going to put the front wheels on wheel stands and put the two jacks under my subframe connectors. If I need to go higher in the front can I will place another set of jackstands under the lower front A arms at the point where they attach to the k member?

Cheers

Mike

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
When I dropped my pumpkin, I didn't use a tie rod puller. I removed the top bolt from the upper A-arm BUT you had to mark it as it's the camber adjust bolt. Just so it goes in EXACTLY the same spot as it was. Pull the half-shafts, drop the drive shaft, undo the differential bolts and you're ready to go. I think there is an after market rear cover from LPW (I think) that seems very reasonably priced. The Fiore cover is very nice and very expensive. Maybe you can get another stock one somewhere. I would put the BilletFlow IRS Brace on (I did) and you can probably say that this won't happen again. The top differential brace is the weak link - I'd replace that with Delrin to eliminate ANY sloppiness there. You might consider the Full Tilt Boogie kit; others absolutely swear by it. He has lots of parts for the IRS and may even have some spare rear covers - who knows?

Finding '03/'04 half shafts new is pretty tough as Ford is not stocking so much anymore. Also, give Tousley Ford a call; they give us great prices and maybe they have some parts squirreled away.

Good luck.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
FRPP also makes a IRS cover

M-4033-G3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread