poormans guide to the 3rd brake light repair

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Well I am pretty new here, but I am a cheap sob and I would rather repair something vs replacing it. This is how I fixed my 3rd brake light. It may not be for everyone, but it will work good for some people on a budget. I did not want to spend 200 for a new light so I decided to fix this one. I fixed this when I bought the car and it has not broken again. I have opened and closed the trunk lid probably 100 times since I did this repair with no problems.

I had all materials on hand, so this repair did not cost me a dime. If you don't have this stuff, the medium CA glue will cost about $10-12, the activator is $5-6 and sand paper, etc is a few more bucks. should be able to get this done for $20 bucks or less. You will also need a 3 inch polisher to buff the light out. I bought this one a few years back from harbor freight for like 20 bucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-pneumatic-polisher-kit-99934.html

The first thing I did was remove the 3rd brake light and the two broken end pieces.

002.jpg

Then I got all my materials together

001.jpg

The next thing I did was clean with alcohol and let fully dry. I let it sit for about 15 or 20 minutes. alcohol will screw up the ca glue if it is not dry, so make sure it is dry. I then used medium CA glue and applied glue to one side of the broken piece. I shot the accelerator on the other side that is being glued up and stuck the two pieces together. at this point it should look like this

004.jpg

After I make sure the glued pieces are stuck together I then glued up the back side of the light a little bit more and I also ran a thin coat over the exposed crack on the front side. I then hit it with the accelerator. At this point these pieces should not come apart. I then repeat these steps to glue the other broken piece back on. Both broken pieces should look like this when done.

003.jpg

I then start sanding the light by hand with a block starting at 1000, 1200, 1500,3000. If you sand just the ends where you glued it up the middle will look like crap and ends will look new. So once you get the ends looking good don't forget to sand the rest of the light with all the grits too_Once I was satisfied with my sanding and my arm was tired, I got out the polisher and used compound to buff the light until all the sand scratches were gone and the light looked new. You could probably use the sander/polisher to go through all the grits vs doing it by hand but you might end up with low spots from your sander. By block sanding by hand you are forced to keep the surface of the light level and it won't look wavy when you are done.

This is what it looks like after sanding with 1000
007.jpg

This is after 1500
008.jpg

Fast forward to after you have finished sanding the light and buffing it up slick as glass, don't forget to paint the back side black so it looks brand new at night. you will probably do like i did and scratch up the back in the process and you will be able to see it through the light if you look close.

009.jpg

010.jpg

If everything goes well, it should look like this when you are done.

012.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

I hope this helps someone, let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:

jblood37

Established Member
I'm glad you wrote this. I was debating on trying something like this or just buying the anchor room overlay. Good job.

deadhorse

WCMF-38
Established Member
a quick and easy way to fix this common problem.Only thing i did different was to use water thin Methylene chlouride solvent cement.Also when installing put a small amount of blue loktite and just snug the screws down so the light can expand and contract ,,,cheers

4601S/C

Established Member
Nice tutorial. Very cool to see people still making these:beer:.

mike.b

Established Member
that looks great!

thanks for the write up, mines not broke but i have worried about it since they are hard to find and expensive when you do.

b_dike

Established Member
Nice... I have all the right glues and accelerator and work. Think i'll be taking my light with me tomorrow. Thanks :beer:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Thanks for all the nice comments. I figured someone might benefit from this write up since this is such a common problem. Its an easy fix and can be done in less than an hour if you are efficient. I also think if you can see the seam when you are done sanding and buffing it may be time to tint the light to help hide the repair. Most body shops I deal with at work will black out lights for 30-40 bucks per light. Even if you have to buy all the materials, buy the cheap harbor freight polisher, and pay a shop to black out the light it will still be cheaper than a new light. It is a no brainer for me. :banana:

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
I tackled this one tonight following the instructions in the OP. Mine wasn't broken nearly as cleanly as OP's was, but I did my best! I still need to paint the back of it tomorrow and reinstall once dry, but this is so much better than spending $200!

17157524426_cf281f3060_b.jpg

17183442245_0f87b6a099_b.jpg

16995925130_d09e5dedff_b.jpg

16561025794_7f63a6537f_b.jpg

17181804372_5d0be46e1d_b.jpg

16997287119_6ae1f368ac_b.jpg

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Nice work. It looks great!

I broke down and bought a new one, but I kept my broken light in case I want to try this in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread