Poor MPH Roush 427r in the 1/4

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
Have a friend with a 2010 Roush 427r Stage 3 that I finally convinced to take to the track on saturday night in texas to get a baseline. He isn't a super driver or anything but something was not quite right with the car IMO. He is the second owner and bought it from a dealer ship. It looks to be stock (meaning as sold in Roush form anyways). The best he could run was a 13.95 with a 2.1 60ft @ 78.??. There are so many facotrs that could result in that e.t., but what was strange is that his mph was 78.??. In fact that was the fastest time and mph out of 4 separate runs. He ran a 14.00, 14.03, 13.95, and spun bad and ran a 14.58 trying to launch harder. I looked up the stock times for the average 427r and it was 101-108 mph area. Any ideas what may be the cause? Tune? Cylinder? SC? I will have to try and get his time slips to get the 1/8 mile mph for you guys, I am sure that would help. Hopefully he didn't toss them. Heck if he knew i was even posting this he would be embarassed but I want to see if we can help him figure this out! Thanks guys!

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
This is his last pass. It sounds like he gets out of it or misses a gear but he doesn't.
th_track004.jpg

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
That sounds exactly like he went to 5th instead of third.... But maybe I'm wrong

He swears he only missed a gear on one run and it was at the end of the 13.95 run (which was his best),. His car is making power to the 1/8th and he is still in it but it just slows down LOL! Heck i had to drive it to see for myself and it does hit a wall of some sort but its not real noticeable and mainly noticeable if you are wot. Meaning if you drive normally while shifting you would never know it had an issue.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I really don't know what to tell ya just based on what I've read. Something is way off here, I would suggest making sure everything is mechanically sound. If it seems to drive normal and only "hit a wall" during full throttle runs maybe strap it to a dyno and go from there. At least then you can see where it's falling off and what the a/f is.

rowin gearz

Established Member
def sounds like he goes into 5th cause the nose drops n the S/C whine goes away.... its prob more driver error than anything... next time @ the track have him let u drive it n c what it does....

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
that is so weird, yeah i'm also going to say he's going into 5th gear.

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
Well I drove it and got the same results. Luckily a local shop was at the track and one of their mechanics came over and looked at it. Turns out that the Inter cooler pump is possibly bad. Will update next week after they fix it.

clc44

Established Member
He's going to 5th or missing a gear. Also looks like he may be hitting the brakes to soon. Tell him to let someone that is running good times in a stick car drive it and see. A 2010 shouldn't be having issues already. Even the 1/8 mile MPH is that of a stock Mach 1 or 99/01 Cobra. What elevation and da is there?

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
He didn't miss a gear, it does it no matter who runs it, as 3 people ran it friday night. Its the IC pump. Mechanic said not to run it and get it to the shop because the heat can really hurt it.

40calcobra

Established Member
I had a leak and my intercooler tank ran dry ,but I lost 12mph trap and 1.8 sec in the 1/8th! I can see a bad ic as the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread