Pool chlorine

Adower

Established Member
Has anyone seen the rise in costs? Went to Costco and bought a 40lb tub of tablets. It was 189$, same tub last year was 119$.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen what salt does to the metal frames on pools.
If it's gunite, then yeah I'd go salt.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Has anyone seen the rise in costs? Went to Costco and bought a 40lb tub of tablets. It was 189$, same tub last year was 119$.

I know the owner of the pool service that services my pool and he told me about the chlorine shortage that was coming two years ago.

Hurricane Laura in Louisiana in 2020 started a chem fire in the factory of one of the major producers of pool chlorine in the US. That plus so many people were stuck at home using their pools and that raised demand.

Back then he encouraged me to buy my own chlorine in bulk that his guys can use, because if he supplied it himself, he'd have to pass on the high price to me as it went up.

I bought a 50lb tub of chlorine (about 160 bucks then) that lasted me over a year and then a year later that same guy who warned me about the shortage arranged for a group buy for some of us clients to buy 55lb tubs for around 210 bucks for everyone that opted in.

It is what it is.

Last edited:

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I know the owner of the pool service that services my pool and he told me about the chlorine shortage that was coming two years ago.

Hurricane Laura in Louisiana in 2020 started a chem fire in the factory one of the major producers of pool chlorine in the US. That plus so many people were stuck at home using their pools and that raised demand.

Back then he encouraged me to buy my own chlorine in bulk that his guys can use, because if he supplied it himself, he'd have to pass on the high price to me as it went up.

I bought a 50lb tub of chlorine (about 160 bucks then) that lasted me over a year and then a year later that same guy who warned me about the shortage arranged for a group buy for some of us clients to buy 55lb tubs for around 210 bucks for everyone that opted in.

It is what it is.

Yep. Prices and availability changed dramatically where I am, as a result.

It was buy what you can and it costs what it costs.

I still have my supply though.

Switching to salt could work, depending on what is surrounding the pool. I originally wanted to go saltwater, but due to the travertine around the pool/patio area, I was advised not to. Supposedly, the saltwater will etch/damage the tile if not washed off after every use. Who wants to do that? I don't.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Sheesh! Last time i bought tablets it was under $100. My pool guy raised his monthly rates to cover the cost of the liquid chlorine too. My new house has salt water. Just bought salt today at $7 a bag. Probably double what it used to be im sure

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Switching to salt could work, depending on what is surrounding the pool. I originally wanted to go saltwater, but due to the travertine around the pool/patio area, I was advised not to. Supposedly, the saltwater will etch/damage the tile if not washed off after every use. Who wants to do that? I don't.
Here's a discussion on a great pool website i'm on about this very subject. Some used sealers and some did not in your situation. How is your Travertine doing with your Salt Water Pool?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I cleaned and opened mine last year ..seen prices go up,,

Even on bottle bleach prices doubled..

It was cheaper to drain and fill than chemicals for a small 22ft above ground

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Here's a discussion on a great pool website i'm on about this very subject. Some used sealers and some did not in your situation. How is your Travertine doing with your Salt Water Pool?
I didn't like the idea of having the travertine coated.

We have an in-line ozone generator with our equipment, which allows us to run lower chlorine levels.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Used in the right concentrations, good ol fashioned grocery store bleach works just fine, and is every bit as good as the "pool grade" stuff.

Papaw

Established Member
Check your water hardness before going salt pool. The water where I live is above the hardness level the salt generators recommend. It can turn your pool into a snow globe.

Users who are viewing this thread