Poll: Do you think these houses are cool or not?

Do you think these houses are cool or not?

• Yes

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
My first poll thread..

Do you think these houses are cool or not?

EDIT: I had to add this to paint a better picture about them:

I say yes, because I do really think they are! They are right off the coastline of Pasco county, FL out in the Gulf of Mexico. They are about a couple miles or so out, and not just a few feet or steps off from a beach. You have to have a boat to reach any or most of these, and I wouldn't swim that far out there. That is unless you are a distance swimmer.

:-D

I would love to rent one of these for a weekend to relax! I have to do some home work on these to see if one is rentable. Pretty hard to find any rental information, except for the old stories on internet. Perhaps, I could try to track down the owners and send them a letter or something as such. Leave a note on every one of these houses, and hope for a reply sooner or later. Just do not want to trepass though!

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I would not want to own one, but I'm sure it would be cool to visit.

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member
Not really. I don't see a point in a camp that you can't drive too. It would be nice to stay in one for a weekend of fishing, but I'd never own one.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
There`s quite a few of these in my area.Pretty cool,they use them as fishing camps,super luxurious inside.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Hell yeah that would be awesome!

Absolutely! I have a boat, so I thought one of them would make for a fun weekend camp out! Now, only if I could find a way to rent one.

:thumbsup: :beer:

I would not want to own one, but I'm sure it would be cool to visit.

I agree. They are decades old, and no more will be built per the latest county ordinances if and when they do finally come down. Some have came down in the past. Ie; Hurricanes, etc. Personally, I think that is too bad, because I think Pasco county should always have some of these up out there.

These were built by the owners themselves way back when they did not want to return from their mullet fishing trips. They would use these as their fish houses, and stay out there for the weekend fishing trips.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
There`s quite a few of these in my area.Pretty cool,they use them as fishing camps,super luxurious inside.

That's pretty interesting to me, because I wasn't aware of any other such houses anywhere else. I guess there are always something else that's the same. I'll see what more I can find out about these type of houses. You are correct about them as fish houses or camps!

:beer:

I wonder what kind of rates you get on homeowners insurance?

:lol1::lol: I bet most if not all of them are uninsured, but who knows! I read some where that the owners rent the underwater land from the state of Florida for a good price. They rent an acre of underwater land each for $100 per year on 5 year contracts.

Check this out (source of my pictures and info):

Stilt Houses in the Gulf of Mexico, Pasco County, Florida

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That's pretty interesting to me, because I wasn't aware of any other such houses anywhere else. I guess there are always something else that's the same. I'll see what more I can find out about these type of houses. You are correct about them as fish houses or camps!

They are in Charlottle Harbor and a bunch of the surrounding bays.Some of them are really run down and just rotting away(just stilts and some frame work).My bosses kid has a buddy who`s parents own one.He goes out there on weekends to fish quite a bit.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
They are in Charlottle Harbor and a bunch of the surrounding bays.Some of them are really run down and just rotting away(just stilts and some frame work).My bosses kid has a buddy who`s parents own one.He goes out there on weekends to fish quite a bit.

Hey you, now I win with this thread, because you actually know somebody who own one! I wish I knew any one of these house owners here. :bowdown: :thumbsup:

If for some reason I can't get any information to rent one of these in my county, then do you think you might be able to contact him and see if it is rentable for just one weekend?

The only thing is I have a 23'6" deep-vee style boat with a sterndrive (not outboard), so the water depths around them in your area would have to be deep enough. I can get to some of these in my county, but not all of them. I would need a flats boat to reach the others, since my boat need a minimum of about 3' water to draft through.

Where you live is not too far down from where I am at, so I could always trailer my boat down with my family and spend the weekend at the house. I think my family would find this type of a camping trip interesting, especially the kids, you know?

Thank you if you might be able to help. If not, no problem! :beer:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hey you, now I win with this thread, because you actually know somebody who own one! I wish I knew any one of these house owners here. :bowdown: :thumbsup:

If for some reason I can't get any information to rent one of these in my county, then do you think you might be able to contact him and see if it is rentable for just one weekend?

The only thing is I have a 23'6" deep-vee style boat with a sterndrive (not outboard), so the water depths around them in your area would have to be deep enough. I can get to some of these in my county, but not all of them. I would need a flats boat to reach the others, since my boat need a minimum of about 3' water to draft through.

Where you live is not too far down from where I am at, so I could always trailer my boat down with my family and spend the weekend at the house. I think my family would find this type of a camping trip interesting, especially the kids, you know?

Thank you if you might be able to help. If not, no problem! :beer:

I`ll ask the kid next time I see him if they rent it out.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
would be an awesome party house if it wasnt for hurricanes

Yeah, the partygoers would definitely think that way. I don't party as much as I did during my younger days, so I was thinking more like a weekend camping/fishing trip for the kids to enjoy. :)

it could be cool for vacation.. Id hate to wake up with my stuff floating by...

:lol: How true, but read below.

Ya they are cool until the first huricane hits and you don't have a house anymore.

You would be surprised at what they have endured through all these years or decades just standing out there like that. We have some of the nastiest thunderstorms any where around here so they do go through a lot of storms out there in the gulf. I'm not sure, but the chances are good that Florida is the lightning capital in the world. They have even survived through a few smaller hurricanes, or the skirts of bigger ones like the four or five the other year recently. However, should a really major hurricane come ashore around this area, then yes they may just get demolished! Although they did get hit by the outer edge of Katrina, I doubt they would survive a direct head-on hit by a such hurricane, and that's for sure.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
I`ll ask the kid next time I see him if they rent it out.

That would be great if you could do that. Should that house turn out rentable for one weekend in the future (not to party, but kids camping-fishing trip), then hey I'll pay you a fee or something as such for the help!

Thanks much! :banana::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread