Polishing Magnaflow Catback

SilverNotch

Established Member
Hows this for a good deal I took my old flowmaster catback and my taillights which had water damage and traded them for a mint set of 99 cobra lights. He had a wrecked 99 in the shop where I bought my magnaflow catback and said he wanted it. So thats been my morning I was going to pull the tailpipes off and start on the the polishing as I got a one of these 3M Scotch-Brite Fine-Finishing Sander (9416NA) - Amazon.com I played with it and seems like it will make quick work of the polishing. The only problem is I don't know what the next grit up would be after this.

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
It says wood and metal.

The key to getting the shine is working your way from a heavier grit to a fine grit.

That one flap wheel you bought would account for one step in a multi-step process.

I don't understand where you're going with this - just follow the guide, it's all right there.

Last edited:

SilverNotch

Established Member
Well I bought a medium grit scotch brite flap and a fine flap wheel and took the exhaust off and started sanding it today. Its a long process especially when I found out the batteries weren't fully charged to for my c3 drill. I think the longest part in the process will be the first step in just getting the surface rust off of the tailpipes and just some of the nicks. After 5 hours I'm only 1/4 of the way through the process. The flap wheels worked wonders but, I still have to hand sand by the exhaust hangers. I tested one spot that was smooth to see if it would get to mirror finish and it did. I'll be excited when its done but, wow this is a lot of work.

Users who are viewing this thread