Polishing Magnaflow Catback

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
I think polishing my exhaust is what gave me carpal tunnel:lol1: .

It's pretty tedious but worth it. Post up pics when you're done.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I'd like to see pix of the magnaflow catback polished. As for the carpal tunnel it probably started with your right hand first.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
The pics in that thread are of a stainless system, the results will be the same for you if you put the work in.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
304 will last with nothing more required than a wipe down and some polish to keep it looking great, the 409 is what OEM exhaust are made of, it will want to develop surface rust and I think you'd have a hard time maintaining it, especially in a harsh environment.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I think you'll be fine. I have a Magnaflow on my Cobra and I polished it up a bit (not as well done in the thread, just didn't have the time), and almost four years later it still looks great, no rust at all.

SilverNotch

Established Member
How much do you think all the sand paper and buffing wheel will cost me? Wheres the best place to get the best price?

Last edited:

SilverNotch

Established Member
Ok, I got all the sand paper at AutoZone for less then 15 dollars they have multi packs that have varying grits for this kind of thing. Also, I got the cotton buffer with 4 different sizes for free. Apparently had points at my Sears rewards card and it covered the 7 dollar drill buffer kit. I was going to sand the exhaust today but, I did the front and rear diff bushings from full tilt boogie racing and I'm exhausted. That was an intense job I started it at 10:30 and stopped working on it at 4:30pm non stop. I had to finish the rear brakes and exhaust today and its finally done. I still have to do the upper and lower control arm bushings and subframe bushings when I get some extra cash. I think that wont be so bad because I'll just drop the whole subframe. I'll probably start the exhaust in a couple weeks.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Ok, I got all the sand paper at AutoZone for less then 15 dollars they have multi packs that have varying grits for this kind of thing. Also, I got the cotton buffer with 4 different sizes for free. Apparently had points at my Sears rewards card and it covered the 7 dollar drill buffer kit. I was going to sand the exhaust today but, I did the front and rear diff bushings from full tilt boogie racing and I'm exhausted. That was an intense job I started it at 10:30 and stopped working on it at 4:30pm non stop. I had to finish the rear brakes and exhaust today and its finally done. I still have to do the upper and lower control arm bushings and subframe bushings when I get some extra cash. I think that wont be so bad because I'll just drop the whole subframe. I'll probably start the exhaust in a couple weeks.

You think you were exhausted just dropping the pumpkin, HA. Wait until you tackle the entire IRS and FTBR beast!

CJK440

Established Member
The SS will discolor eventually. Best bet, make it quick enough so nobody can see.

Users who are viewing this thread