Polishing headlights w/ Toothpaste and Peanut Butter

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
The other day I was on YouTube looking at science stuff and found this guy that used toothpaste and peanut butter to polish his acrylic water tanks. So I immediately thought, lets try this shhh.. poop!

Materials:
-Toothpaste (I used Crest+Whitening. It was on sale for $0.99 :idea:)
-Small jar of peanut butter (I used Jif)
-Microfibre towels
-Water
-Car soap
*Wax (Mother's)

*Optional

Procedure:
1) Wash the headlights as you normally do.
2) While the headlights are still wet, put a thick toothpaste line on the lights.
3) W/ a microfibre towel, start buffing the lights w/ moderate pressure.
4) After aprox. 3 minutes of buffing, clean the headlight w/ plain water.
5) Dry it.
6) Put a small drop of peanut butter on the surface and start to spread it as if you were waxing.
7) Wash w/ car soap and dry the headlights.
*8) Put a layer of your favorite sealer/final step wax.

To my surprise, it worked GREAT! I was so amazed, that I forgot to do an instant "before & after", but, I found a pic about two weeks ago for comparison.

BEFORE:
Mustang_Focos_Oxidados_zpsc55bb78a.jpg

AFTER:
Mustang_Focos_Clear_06_zps7ff3461d.jpg

Mustang_Focos_Clear_04_zps683f5e8c.jpg

Not bad for a "less than $5.00 headlights repair kit" huh?!?

Last edited:

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Looks great. I'll have to try this!

Wow, you can't be serious lol!!! Gonna try this on my sister's car who's been nagging me to buff out her headlights... Thanks for sharing OP :beer:

Give it a try! You guys will be in AWE. I swear.

The thing is that I ordered a set of smoked headlights OE spec 3 days ago. So at least this chrome set will rest for some time in style hehe :coolman:

9CobraVert8

Established Member
I've used toothpaste and peanut butter to clean CD/DVDs before. Never thought of using it on headlights. You can't beat a cheap way to clean up your ride that's for sure!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Better seal those headlights or you'll be repeating this process every 2-3 months. HD, Opti seal, JS109. Wax won't last long at all.

Just my .02 I'd rather do it correctly and only have to do it every 18-24 months.

Last edited:

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I know what the toothpaste was for, it provides a mild abrasive. Anybody know why peanut butter though? Just curious.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
I know what the toothpaste was for, it provides a mild abrasive. Anybody know why peanut butter though? Just curious.

It was something about the oils on it.

Protein.

Can't have muscle car without protein to build car muscle. I put two spoonfuls of supplement in every other tank of gas....

LOL! :lol: Its so funny because I imagined just doing that at a Gas Station instead of Vp for example :D

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
that is bad ass! I usually use a mild polish, light/medium cutting pad with my porter cable...However I am going to try this out for sure!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
It was something about the oils on it.

LOL! :lol: Its so funny because I imagined just doing that at a Gas Station instead of Vp for example :D

Correct about the oil. People have had great luck with smearing peanut butter on faded black plastic and after letting the oils soak in, they wash it off and the plastic is like new again.

RussZTT

Established Member
You guys need to be careful on our headlights. If you look close, there is a thin layer of clear on them. To much scrubbing will remove that layer thus making it worse quicker down the road.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
You guys need to be careful on our headlights. If you look close, there is a thin layer of clear on them. To much scrubbing will remove that layer thus making it worse quicker down the road.

Its true. But I dont think people will do that to a brand new set of headlights. Mine are 13 years old. By the time the headlights start to oxidize and you start to polish them, its just a matter of time for new ones. After the toothpaste, you can see little scratches that are quickly "repaired" or hid by the peanut butter and the wax. Just like polishing paint. Also the abbrasives in the toothpaste are very mild, its what you use on your mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread