Polished My Exhaust

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
I've been meaning to get around to this. I just love the way that the piping snakes around the IRS on our cars. I didn't want a mirror shine so I didn't go crazy with the sanding. Just wanted it to look clean and like new. I also wasn't worried about polishing the entire catback, so I just polished what you could see while it was on the car; mostly to save my fingers.

04sleeper's write up was extremely helpful. (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/568983-how-polish-your-exhaust.html).

I started with the 150 grit flapper wheel to get off the really hard spots. Then I hit it with 180 grit then 220 grit. You can see in this picture just how dirty the exhaust was on the passenger side.

ip88klK.jpg

From there I moved onto 400 grit then 800 grit. You can see in this picture the shine starting to come through. By this time I had a few too many brewskis and called it a night.

oJGlPzb.jpg

Ijeo8Qv.jpg

Fingers a little sore the next morning, I moved onto the 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, and finally the 2000 grit. Once I was done sanding the driver side, I hit it with a nice coat of Mother's chrome polish. It's like night and day compared to the untouched passenger side.

wTe42dh.jpg

I repeated the process on the other side and this is how it came out. I was relatively pleased with everything except the actual rolled tips. There was some build up on those that just wouldn't come off. As I worked at them harder and harder, I just began to discolor the steel. Maybe I'll get some new ones welded on in the future, but overall I think the exhaust looks 1000% better. (Please disregard my sweet impromptu work light. The halogen bulb in my shop light took a crap on me as I started)

l3QVoIp.jpg

cCh0N7n.jpg

weaselp1

Established Member
very nice!....that is something i plan on doing before spring hits...i figure i got 2 months before i can drive, so i can take my time doing it....alot of work, but so worth it.

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
very nice!....that is something i plan on doing before spring hits...i figure i got 2 months before i can drive, so i can take my time doing it....alot of work, but so worth it.

Honestly, it didn't take me that long at all. I would say I spent maybe 4-5 hours on it total.

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
It's one of my favorite features of the Terminators.

Honestly, if I drove it less, I would have taken the time to remove it and give it a mirror shine. I just know driving it frequently, it's going to get dirty again.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
looks good !!. I have mine off my car , gotta do the same thing , i have a bunch of dents in mine they were there when i got the car . I was thinking about taking them to work with me to pull the dents out , that would be a lot of work though .

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
looks good !!. I have mine off my car , gotta do the same thing , i have a bunch of dents in mine they were there when i got the car . I was thinking about taking them to work with me to pull the dents out , that would be a lot of work though .

Thanks. Yea, mine has one dent. I'm sure I'll change exhaust at some point, though, so not worth worrying about.

great job, i remember the feeling of sore fingers when i redid mine.

Thanks, dude. I did a sort of half ass job because I didn't need it to have a showroom shine. I can't imagine people that go all out. Ouch.

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
Thanks. Definitely.

Once I polished the exhaust, I realized I was drawing serious attention to my dirty ass fuel tank cover. That's since been cleaned up.

My fiance came out last night and realized what I was doing, shook her head, and went back inside.

b_dike

Established Member
Thanks. Definitely.

Once I polished the exhaust, I realized I was drawing serious attention to my dirty ass fuel tank cover. That's since been cleaned up.

My fiance came out last night and realized what I was doing, shook her head, and went back inside.

LOL... I just pictured my wife doin the same thing.

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Did mine this morning, luckily the wife didn't even ask :).

Rt side 220 grit:
file_zps509d0ea1.jpg

Rt side 400 grit:
file_zpsb16c5943.jpg

Rt side 1000/2500 grit:
file_zps5e26bfd6.jpg

Left side 220 grit:
file_zpsb97502d6.jpg

Left side 400 grit:
file_zpsfffec077.jpg

Left side 1000/2500 grit:
file_zps0bab0c27.jpg

Before:
file_zpsecb627aa.jpg

One side done:
file_zps1f42eb5d.jpg

Both sides polished:
file_zpsaf507d28.jpg

Of course all the dings/dents show up, but its all good :)

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Did mine this morning, luckily the wife didn't even ask :).

Rt side 220 grit:
file_zps509d0ea1.jpg

Rt side 400 grit:
file_zpsb16c5943.jpg

Rt side 1000/2500 grit:
file_zps5e26bfd6.jpg

Left side 220 grit:
file_zpsb97502d6.jpg

Left side 400 grit:
file_zpsfffec077.jpg

Left side 1000/2500 grit:
file_zps0bab0c27.jpg

Before:
file_zpsecb627aa.jpg

One side done:
file_zps1f42eb5d.jpg

Both sides polished:
file_zpsaf507d28.jpg

Of course all the dings/dents show up, but its all good :)

lol, you hulk it out on your exhaust or what? some serious dents lol

Users who are viewing this thread