Votes: 170 95.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
Ok, What type of stainless are the Borla and Magnaflow kits made from? Looks like the Magna kits are a little lower quality stainless as it turns that light red-brown shade of rust where the Borla kits dont. Flowmaster Came out with their 409s kits (I assume t409 Stainless). Is 409 a good stainless to polish like 04speepers? Will it hold the shine well? Im also afraid the mufflers are still mig welded thus the welds will still rust. (New flowmaster 409s that is)

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
just put mine on yesterday, all polished up. have a few too many hours to want to remember sanding,but it looks
100_1261.jpg
great. ill try to a
100_1262.jpg
dd some pics later
100_1263.jpg

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Ok, What type of stainless are the Borla and Magnaflow kits made from? Looks like the Magna kits are a little lower quality stainless as it turns that light red-brown shade of rust where the Borla kits dont. Flowmaster Came out with their 409s kits (I assume t409 Stainless). Is 409 a good stainless to polish like 04speepers? Will it hold the shine well? Im also afraid the mufflers are still mig welded thus the welds will still rust. (New flowmaster 409s that is)
Not sure about Magnaflow but here is from Borla's website.
The most commonly used metals in the manufacture of exhaust systems are rusty mild steel, aluminized steel or an inferior 400-series stainless. BORLA uses only high quality austenitic stainless steel. It costs more than the other lesser grades of steel. To cut, bend and hand weld this grade of stainless steel takes special equipment too. Ask your local muffler shop if they can make a smooth, precision mandrel bend in a 2.50" 201 or 304 Stainless Steel pipe for you. You won't find many that can, and it won't be cheap. We also focus heavily on research and development to assure that the system fits, performs and sounds better than any other system on the market. Add to this pressure testing, our Million-Mile Warranty and the years of race winning technology that go into the systems made at BORLA, and you will see why we have so many loyal, repeat customers. A BORLA is actually very cost effective when you take into account the fact that most exhaust systems will need replacement within 18 months to 4 years while a BORLA exhaust is designed to last the life of your vehicle.

Q. My new car came with Stainless Steel exhaust from the factory! What's the difference?

Material Difference: Many new-model cars and trucks come factory-equipped with a low grade, 400 series stainless steel exhaust. These are an improvement from the old, rusty steel systems and are built to improve durability somewhat. Also, the inferior grade of stainless is the only cheap material that will last through the factory warranty period. But, ferritic stainless steels, which are part of the 400 series of stainless alloys, are magnetic, as compared to Austenitic stainless steels, which are part of the 200 & 300 series of stainless alloys and are non-magnetic. BORLA incorporates Austenitic stainless, which is superior for automotive exhaust because it exhibits higher hardness and yield strength as well as excellent ductility. And, the higher nickel and chromium content makes it much more resistant to corrosion. Because these austenitic alloys are higher grade materials and harder to work with, they are therefore too expensive for the OE to supply.

High quality, austenitic stainless allows us to back our systems with a Million-Mile guarantee - A BORLA is a lifetime system!

Performance Difference: BORLA exhausts are also tuned to maximize the performance output of your vehicle and feature a more attractive and cost effective package than stock.

Looks like Borla uses a better stainless.

just put mine on yesterday, all polished up. have a few too many hours to want to remember sanding,but it looks great. ill try to add some pics later
Looking forward to the pics. :pop:

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
few pics added, sorry they seem huge. not a good picture taker or poster here. LOL and i need a new camera

Coiled03

Established Member
I wonder if I could use my jitterbug sander in place of the flapper wheel? Any thoughts on that, Kevin?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
few pics added, sorry they seem huge. not a good picture taker or poster here. LOL and i need a new camera
Lookking good! :thumbsup:

i would like to see some one top this!!! :D
I think that may be hard to beat! Looks night and day! :rockon:

I wonder if I could use my jitterbug sander in place of the flapper wheel? Any thoughts on that, Kevin?
I'm sure it would work, but the flapper wheel may do the same job a little quicker.

It's worth a shot. I don't think you will hurt anything by trying.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
just put mine on yesterday, all polished up. have a few too many hours to want to remember sanding,but it looks
100_1261.jpg
great. ill try to a
100_1262.jpg
dd some pics later
100_1263.jpg

What kind of c/b is that? How did you get flowmaster's to bolt up to that?

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
bought a magnaflow catback, so i could have stainless tailpipes, and purchaced 2 super44's. with 2 1/2 inch offset/offset, almost same muffler as the magnaflow. only had to trim 1 inch off tailpipe and add 1 sleeve into the out end of muffler. just a little custom. pm me if you need more info.. IMO magnaflow has one of the nicest tailpipes(no seams to see in the back) and the 3 1/2 inch tips are just the right size.

Last edited:

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
this pic is taken after 4kmiles, i DD my car in the rain etc, i get down there & clean them by hand once a month,
371.jpg

sixt5

Established Member
do they still retain the mirror finish? i have a catback that should be here tomorrow for my truck. brand new SS from magnaflow and thinking about doing it since you would see a little more of the pipe.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
do they still retain the mirror finish? i have a catback that should be here tomorrow for my truck. brand new SS from magnaflow and thinking about doing it since you would see a little more of the pipe.

do it! it will be better than looking at stock pipe that gets nasty looking after time.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member

yea kinda... i get down there, and clean them here and there,

JoeLee

***Degenerate***
Established Member
Lemme give this a SHOT...
LOL!!!

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00599.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae155/sonic2k3/DSC00600.jpg[/IMG

[ATTACH=full]1193784[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1193785[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1193786[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1193787[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1193788[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1193789[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1193790[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1193791[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 25

Zentenk

Established Member
I am purchasing these and want to polish before I throw them on. What do you think? That Borla catback is nasty... not sure what the Bellanger headers are made of.

100_0331.jpg

100_0330.jpg

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Lemme give this a SHOT...LOL!!!
DSC00603.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00600.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg
Wow! That looks AWESOME!!!!!!! :rockon: Great Job!!!!

I am purchasing these and want to polish before I throw them on. What do you think? That Borla catback is nasty... not sure what the Bellanger headers are made of.

100_0331.jpg

100_0330.jpg
Looks like you will have your work cut out for you that's for sure! The mufflers and the tail pipes look to bestainless and shouls polish up nicely but the other 2 pipes in the middle and the headers don't appear to be stainless.

I would look into sending the headers and middle pipes off to Jet-Hot for ceramic coating.

Zentenk

Established Member
Darn I wanted some blinging headers... I think those middle pipes are too narrow and will get custom pipes made. Honestly I don't really like the Borla for Vipers so I will more than likely not even put it on. I hear about Titanium exhaust but I guess it is custom made and rather expensive but much lighter?

SilverNotch

Established Member
I'm having a hard time getting to that last bling look on my ss magnaflow catback. It seems to have a slight cloudy/haze look to the metal with tiny scracthes. I have the cotton buffing pads with mag polish. Any reccomendations?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread