PMAS intakes

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Will a PMAS intake (either a 120 or 149MM) help out a little driveability issue I'm having? My car is in the 850 to 900 rwhp range with stage 3 cams. My current CAI is a JLT 127 with a twin 67 TB. Low rpm cruising has a little burble around 1700-2000. Just trying to hold a constant rpm below 2500 with the clutch pushed in when datalogging is almost impossible. I had heard that the PMAS intakes were very smooth down low and would entertain a change if I could be convinced my issue was "all cams".
Any insight appreciated.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Which Sage 3 cams are you running? I doubt changing the MAF will make any difference unless it's just off. Usually adaptive controls will compensate for some of that or will trigger a code. More aggressive cam timing is likely the reason you have problems below 2,000 rpm. What you gain up top, you lose on the bottom. I think you're going to need to keep your cruising rpm higher than you had to with the stock cams.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Which Sage 3 cams are you running? .

They are MMR Stage 3 cams. The cruising rpm I can deal with easily enough. I was hoping the rpm "surging" when tyring to hold it constant with the clutch in was a function of "rough air and low velocity" from the rough inside of the carbon fiber intake tube.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I would have to say if it's surging with no load on the engine, something probably is not quite right. But, then I'd be more inclined to think tune over the MAF choice. PMAS may have a better transfer function that they make available to tuners, so it could be possible. PMAS' tubes are also rigid, unlike JLT, and probably has more consistent signals because of that. Another thought is the throttle body. I have to wonder how much the airflow requirements at low rpm ranges depart from that of the stock camshaft and the throttle bade oscillates trying to find the right angle to match the desired rpm.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Will a PMAS intake (either a 120 or 149MM) help out a little driveability issue I'm having? My car is in the 850 to 900 rwhp range with stage 3 cams. My current CAI is a JLT 127 with a twin 67 TB. Low rpm cruising has a little burble around 1700-2000. Just trying to hold a constant rpm below 2500 with the clutch pushed in when datalogging is almost impossible. I had heard that the PMAS intakes were very smooth down low and would entertain a change if I could be convinced my issue was "all cams".
Any insight appreciated.
The PMAS will have a cleaner MAF signal than a JLT intake, It probably wont make it perfect but it will definitely help driveability, Is Lund your tuner?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Have you been able to data log anything? If you are getting a rough reading from the MAF getting the PMAS will help with that.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
The PMAS will have a cleaner MAF signal than a JLT intake, It probably wont make it perfect but it will definitely help driveability, Is Lund your tuner?
Yes, Lund is the Tuner.

Have you been able to data log anything? If you are getting a rough reading from the MAF getting the PMAS will help with that.
The car was datalogged a few years back when the motor was redone. Most of the issues were worked thru.

Thanks to all.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Yeah, I would have to say if it's surging with no load on the engine, something probably is not quite right. But, then I'd be more inclined to think tune over the MAF choice. PMAS may have a better transfer function that they make available to tuners, so it could be possible. PMAS' tubes are also rigid, unlike JLT, and probably has more consistent signals because of that. Another thought is the throttle body. I have to wonder how much the airflow requirements at low rpm ranges depart from that of the stock camshaft and the throttle bade oscillates trying to find the right angle to match the desired rpm.
My JLT 148MM with Whipple elliptical, cams, etc is smooth as silk. It takes time and the bottom line is that very few people need a tube that size.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

50stangpower

Established Member
Haha this is crazy. I have very similar mods and am having the same issue since the ID1300X'S got installed. Who is doing your tuning at LUND? They think maybe my TPS went bad so I need to send them more idle logs... I just don't understand how it was great with the stock injectors, swapped injectors and got a new tune and now it can't get right...

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
My JLT 148MM with Whipple elliptical, cams, etc is smooth as silk. It takes time and the bottom line is that very few people need a tube that size.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app
BJ, did you have the JLT 148 installed with the Whipple or did you have it on when you had your Gen 2R TVS's?

djniknala

Established Member
Haha this is crazy. I have very similar mods and am having the same issue since the ID1300X'S got installed. Who is doing your tuning at LUND? They think maybe my TPS went bad so I need to send them more idle logs... I just don't understand how it was great with the stock injectors, swapped injectors and got a new tune and now it can't get right...

Do you have a picture of the injectors installed? Do you have the correct spacers installed?

50stangpower

Established Member
Do you have a picture of the injectors installed? Do you have the correct spacers installed?

I can take a picture of them. I bought a set brand new that were for a coyote. Per ID all I had to do was remover the spacers from the coyote and everything fits as it should. Everything lines up and there are no leaks so I'm not sure how the issue could be there?

djniknala

Established Member
I can take a picture of them. I bought a set brand new that were for a coyote. Per ID all I had to do was remover the spacers from the coyote and everything fits as it should. Everything lines up and there are no leaks so I'm not sure how the issue could be there?

If you removed the wrong spacers.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
BJ, did you have the JLT 148 installed with the Whipple or did you have it on when you had your Gen 2R TVS's?
Sorry this is two weeks late. Since I wasn't "tagged" I wasn't alerted to my name triggering anything.

I used the JLT 148 on both the GEN II and GEN II-R as well as my current Whipple 2.9

Users who are viewing this thread