Plz Help Having Clutch Problems...

Chunky04

Lil Bad Boy
Established Member
Hey guys... I just helped my buddy install his spec 2 clutch and aluminum flywheel on his 03 Cobra...After everything was installed we jumped in it to go for a ride..and we couldn't get the car to go in gear :shrug: ...(He doesnt have a firewall adjuster or anything like that) So we decided to try and adjust the clutch the homeaid way... :loser: We slapped some washers on both ends of the cable and tightened up the slack...

So we forsure thought we solved the problem...But nope...Still wont go into gear...Now when the car is NOT started we can get it into gears.... :dw: But it still isnt very easy... But when the car IS started we cant get anything :shrug:

Anybody got any ideas of whats going on? Any suggestions? Anything would help...Thanks guys... :beer:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Are you SURE you installed the disk the proper direction? This may sound like a stupid question, but you would be amazed at the number of times I've seen it wrong. When that happens, you get exactly what you describe or a helluva grinding noise when you push the clutch in because the clutch hub rubs on the flywheel bolts. The protruding hub on the disk needs to go towards the transmission.

Try this. Put the car in gear and try and start it. If it doesn't release then...or if it grinds on the flywheel bolts, you know where to start looking. It's either backwards or as 03dohc says...wrong clutch all together.

MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING IN YOUR WAY WHEN YOU TRY AND START IT!!! It may just fire in gear and take off on you!!!

Chunky04

Lil Bad Boy
Established Member
So i put the car in gear and started it...I was holding the clutch in and everything was fine...The clutch worked just fine :shrug: But when you pulled it out...it would never go back in.. Im still messing with the cable though...

I heard our clutch pedal was sapposed to be even with our brake pedal... In my case its not...its was higher up...So im working on adjusting that now..

Any other ideas???

Chunky04

Lil Bad Boy
Established Member
Here is the update on the clutch situation...

So we manually engaged the clutch completely...We unhooked the clutch cable...Now by doing this it should surely go into gear...But once again...nope it still didnt go into gear...We even pushed in the clutch pedal (even though it wasnt hooked up) just to make sure there was no sensor or anything like that...

So that tells me that we didnt put something together right... So now we are in the process of taking it all back down and going through everything.. I will let everyone know what happens step by step... If you have any input on what you think it might be...Please let us know..Thanks guys

Chunky04

Lil Bad Boy
Established Member
Hey guys... I have another update...My buddy just called me...He had taken the car to his local mechanic cuz he was sick of working on it...(and i dont blame him...cuz i was sick of working on it too :xpl: ) So they called him and told him that when we were installing the tranny that we must have installed it at an angle...because we pushed the bearings out of the pilot bearing :uh oh: Which is so true because we had it up on 2 jack stands and we had 3 guys under the car pushing it up at an angle... Sorry guys...were poor boys and cant afford a lift of tranny lift... :loser:

But anyways that was the main problem as we know it...When they get it all back together i will let you guys know if that was the problem for sure...Thanks for all the support guys... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread