Please, Make It Stop!

JR_Cobra

Established Member
I love my Cobra! But the noise is making me crazy!

I had a Tri-Ax installed with a MGW handle (with the "sound damping" piece). The noise is driving me nuts! Especially in 1st and 2nd. How do I get rid of it? I want the tranmission quieter that stock.

Any suggestions?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've got bad news for you. You're not going to add an aftermarket shifter and make it quieter than stock. Ain't gonna happen. Aftermarket shifters because of how they are made will transmit more tranny noise than the stock shifter. You can, however, get the noise down close to stock but using the heavy stock shift lever bushing/gasket and using a base gasket vs. sealant. There are other sound deadening tricks people here use but you won't get it as quiet as stock. Just do the above and turn your radio up. Or get a louder exhaust. LOL!

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Get a louder stereo or learn to love the sound of a musclecar.

mosconiac

Established Member
I don't have noise out of mine, but I did three things to make sure I didn't:
1) made sure the shifter end stops have adequate clearance from handle (per Steeda's recommendation),
2) inserted a nice damper pad between shifter and handle (I got mine from Cobra'03...his special durometer mix LOL), and
3) stuffed a 2-3" thick foam pad into the console opening (cut a big enough hole to allow the shifter to move unimpeded).

Like I said, dead quiet.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Iron Terp sold me some gasket material to be placed in between the shifter base and trans. Mine is very quiet with this set up. good luck

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Originally posted by JR_Cobra
I had a Tri-Ax installed with a MGW handle (with the "sound damping" piece). The noise is driving me nuts! Especially in 1st and 2nd. How do I get rid of it? I want the tranmission quieter that stock.

I had the exact same setup as you with the MGW handle. It was still noisey, so I added the rubber washers in addition to the rectangular rubber bushing. It helped some, but was still too loud.

I eventually put the stock handle back on. I mounted it on the lower two holes of the Tri-Ax. It's now 99% as quiet as stock and still feels OK.

JR_Cobra

Established Member
I'm going to try the gasket around the base. As solid as this car is, I just don't want to accept that the car has to sound like there's no sound insulation. To me, it cheapens the car. If I can fix it, that's what I want to do.

I want to hear more of the Magnaflows - not the transmission!

Anyone ever tried dynamat?

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by OH3Cobra
Iron Terp sold me some gasket material to be placed in between the shifter base and trans. Mine is very quiet with this set up. good luck

This is the way I'll do it. I remember seeing a tech article in 5.0 that used this method instead of the goo stuff (RTV or whatever). Makes me wish I tried it on my old '01. I used some plastic washers between the handle & shifter, helped a little, but not enough. I just got used to it.

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Well shit, I must be deaf, because I just mounted my shifter any old way and I can't hear a thing. Only thing I did was make sure the stops were adjusted right.

Users who are viewing this thread