Please educate me- Thunderbolt ports

jshen

Established Member
Just bought Dell XPS 13 9305 and it has two ports- thunderbolt 4???? I can't bring my files over from old laptop!!! Are USB C backward compatable ??? Buying new wires and dock..makes this a "return item" I am so out of touch...please I thank you in advance.

Moderator: please feel free to remove this as I spent an hour with Dell tech support and got and education. But the answer is you buy an adapter in which the USB-C port will support an array of USB assessories...

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How do you like the XPS 13 so far. Looks to be a decent laptop.

jshen

Established Member
It has not been delivered but I have used Dell for the last 25 years. Customer support is great. This and a "hub" will be delivered Mon/Tues. Twas on sale and got it....for "hurricane evacuation"

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I use the Dell Precision Laptops for my department and have struggled quite a bit with the Dell Thunderbolt Docks connectivity and random power issues. They use what I believe is the same style connector you reference and will randomly just not work at times / sometimes just blue screen the laptop. I did get a firmware update recently for the docks and it seems to of helped a little but I'm certainly not ready to call it fixed.

jshen

Established Member
I did not buy a Dock...but was suggested I buy a hub which the USB-C plugs into 4 regular USB devices. I have all my programs in backup drives. The first blue screen and it goes back to Dell- This unit will have I7 processor and 16 gig RAM, 512 SSD..for just under 1K on sale.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It has not been delivered but I have used Dell for the last 25 years. Customer support is great. This and a "hub" will be delivered Mon/Tues. Twas on sale and got it....for "hurricane evacuation"
One of my co-workers has a Dell laptop. He likes it. I have a Dell AIO here that I like a lot. They do have good stuff and their customer support is definitely great. Let us know how you like it when it arrives.

jshen

Established Member
I am trying to cancel order as it is just too much to fiddle with..It's not really portable when you have to carry around a dock or hub..Heck no ethernet connection either.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Came in looking for this Thunderbolt
1964-Ford-Fairlane-Thunderbolt-2.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
dont you carry the laptop in a laptop bag anyway? a small USB hub that plugs int a USB C isn't a huge deal. You can also buy a handfull of USB - USB C adapters on Amazon.

Im not using one at the moment but I've also seen adapters that are Ethernet and USB that run on a USB C port.

I get what you're saying though, the port transition is a pain in the ass

jshen

Established Member
I am an old fart. You are right about the hub thing. Dell customer service is great and I am sure they will walk me through everything.

TheOne™

Established Member
thunderbolt 4 is the same as USB C/USB 4, these are backwards compatible with older USB C ports (the rounded rectangular looking port used by alot of newer devices). these are just faster usb C ports that can support up to 40gbps.

you should be able to use a usb C flash drive or a usb c to usb A adapter for a usb A style flash drive(the older rectangular port). or you can get a USB C hub which comes with USB C or USB A ports/hdmi/ethernet ports.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
How do you like the XPS 13 so far. Looks to be a decent laptop.
It's been awhile, but I bought your XPS 15 off you years ago when my wife's XPS 13 ended it's life. The 15 treated me well until the HD went out for a second time and then I got her a Macbook, which has been kicking ass flawlessly for 7 years now!

Users who are viewing this thread