Playstation Vue

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Has anyone tried this out?

I've been looking to "cut the cord" for a while now and the recent acquisition of the Disney channels (ABC,ESPN,ect..) by Playstation has me really considering making the switch. My concern is mainly with the amount of bandwidth I would need for 3+ streams. I am currently @ 100mbps so I should be okay. My other concern is the picture quality and it only being maxed @ 720p.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
My other concern is the picture quality and it only being maxed @ 720p.
If you have Cable/DirecTV, chances of seeing a show/movie in 1080P are very slim. About 80% of channels, even live broadcast, are in 720P.

Unless you have a 70+ inch TV sitting under 6 feet of view distance, you wont tell a difference between 720 vs 1080p. I love my DirecTV but been watching less and less TV lately, and if I do, its usually stream via Netflix or Plex. Only time I usually watch are recorded shows or live sports.

Blackness03

Established Member
I dropped cable over a year ago. I don't regret it at all. I stream just about everything thru Xbox1 and it's probably not as good as Playstation now.

colin450

Established Member
Was thinking about giving Vue a shot, too. Only thing I was worried about is watching live sports that are on local networks.

Branhammer

Established Member
Cutting my cord in 2 months when our Dish bill shoots up again. I'm not paying a penny over $40 a month for dish when I can get 4 different streaming services for that. I'm tired of haggling with them every 6 months anyway.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Dropped the cable 6 years ago and have been using my PS3 with Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime as well as OTA channels. Best thing I ever did and currently convincing my father-in-law to do the same.

NinjaBum

Established Member
I started a week ago. Saw 29.99 and it peaked my interest. Was wary cause I figured it would be shit channels.

To my surprise they were legit channels I watch so I got it. I will be ditching DirecTV April 1. Will cost me 100 bucks to cancel but I will save almost that much in one month.

120 dollar satellite bill to 30 dollar bill? Hells yes!

The "dvr" function is a bit different.
You search for your shows and add them as favorites with R1. It will proceed to record all of the episodes that come on for you and hold them for 28 days.

Like it a lot. Especially for that price. The directv lady was asking me what I switched to and after she found out, "well how much are you paying. . . Oh ok. . . Well can you play it on your TV?. . . Oh."

They have a 29.99 rate package too but that is prior to equipment rental fees and has shite channels I am sure.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Has anyone tried this out?

I've been looking to "cut the cord" for a while now and the recent acquisition of the Disney channels (ABC,ESPN,ect..) by Playstation has me really considering making the switch. My concern is mainly with the amount of bandwidth I would need for 3+ streams. I am currently @ 100mbps so I should be okay. My other concern is the picture quality and it only being maxed @ 720p.

i would kill just to have the option to get that much bandwidth!

KingBlack

Established Member
Time Warner keeps telling me that they're going to increase the speed here. I have the fastest they have right now 50/5.

they've been saying that for years. plus i keep getting calls from them to rejoin, they are offering to pay cancellation fees too. i say i will IF THEY PUT IN WRITING my rate will stay the same for a year. thats where the conversation ends

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Thanks for the replys. I called and gave directv the chance to match Vue's price but they couldn't come close.

I canceled my directv and signed up for the core package. Luckily I'm in the NY area and can get the live local channels such as CBS, NBC, Fox, and ABC.

So far so good.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Time Warner keeps telling me that they're going to increase the speed here. I have the fastest they have right now 50/5.
We been having 300mbs for almost 2 years now from TWC. Took about half a year or a bit more after I received the letter for speed increases.

They been pretty damn consistent

KingBlack

Established Member
We been having 300mbs for almost 2 years now from TWC. Took about half a year or a bit more after I received the letter for speed increases.

They been pretty damn consistent

You're in SC (southern california)

we are in SC (south carolina)

big difference. we get stuff way after yall get it. 300mbs is insane...id love to have that

Last edited:

04svtsnke

Established Member
Amazon Fire Stick.... With Kodi installed.

Thank me later

I have a fire stick, and a fire box currently. Will be getting one more stick and box which will all have Kodi and PlayStation vue. Once they come in, I'll be getting rid of everything time warned except for Internet. I can't wait!

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
How are you guys streaming live sports?

This is the only thing keeping me to to Directv. Im a NASCAR fan and the local broadcast would work to watch the race but when the race is on NBCSN or FS1 I'm not sure how I'm gonna see it with a streaming service.
Well it looks like ps vue has these chains so I'm telling Directv to suck it was well. Gonna try the free trial during the race next week to make sure I get it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread