Playing with an idea: '05 GT500 engine into SN95.

MouTine

Established Member
Well... Long story short. I have been bit bored on my Cobra lately. Tryed to sell it for a while with no success. Car feels and runs good but the fact is that it is 150k engine with minor oil breathing between heads and block and all kind other things that come along with that mileage.

Ok let's get into business. I spotted this on Ebay MUSTANG ENGINE SHELBY GT 500 COBRA 5.4 & TRANS T6060 : eBay Motors (item 330430145049 end time May-13-10 15:20:47 PDT) and wondered what kind of job it might be to get it work on '96 Cobra. Had anyone done this or any similar engine swap before?

And one friend of mine with Fox Mustang told me that he could be interested to buy my original engine and tranny.

Remember... This is just a idea I got. Any comments and other suggestions are wellcome.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Not a ton of help, but there is a gentleman on here with a GT500 engine in his SN95. So, it can be done. Can't recall his name off of the top of my head though...

Toasty

Established Member
Well... Long story short. I have been bit bored on my Cobra lately. Tryed to sell it for a while with no success. Car feels and runs good but the fact is that it is 150k engine with minor oil breathing between heads and block and all kind other things that come along with that mileage.

Ok let's get into business. I spotted this on Ebay MUSTANG ENGINE SHELBY GT 500 COBRA 5.4 & TRANS T6060 : eBay Motors (item 330430145049 end time May-13-10 15:20:47 PDT) and wondered what kind of job it might be to get it work on '96 Cobra. Had anyone done this or any similar engine swap before?

And one friend of mine with Fox Mustang told me that he could be interested to buy my original engine and tranny.

Remember... This is just a idea I got. Any comments and other suggestions are wellcome.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/652752-best-place-put-gt500-powerplant.html

MouTine

Established Member
Thanks Toasty. I would like to do that with full GT500 wireing loom, ECU and tranny. Just thinking how it works with original cruise control and AC? And how GT500's PATS system works?

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
would be a siick swap but looks like it involves a ton of patience and work...i would love to do this one day but idk...prob just build an all motor set up for my car after this whole 1.5 kb deal then just buy a gt500 or a ford gt with a salvaged title ahah

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Thats cool for peole that have done it but I would't do it. I would rather swap in an 03-04 Cobra engine and tranny. Or wait for a wrecked 11 gt and swap in the Coyote 5.0. It wont be long before we start to see them ending up in junk yards........ BTW there was no 05 GT 500 as they first debuted as an 07 model.

MouTine

Established Member
My main idea was to get some modern low mileage more powerfull modern Ford-V8 with tranny and drop it in. Well "drop it in" could sound wrong, grindeing and fabricateing isn't problem at all. I'm not realy keen on that idea to rebuilt old engine.

Keep on dreaming. =)

Toasty

Established Member
Thats cool for peole that have done it but I would't do it. I would rather swap in an 03-04 Cobra engine and tranny. Or wait for a wrecked 11 gt and swap in the Coyote 5.0. It wont be long before we start to see them ending up in junk yards........ BTW there was no 05 GT 500 as they first debuted as an 07 model.

The new 5.0 and the Variable cam timing will require a full harness and ECU swap. A 5.4 GT500, regular 5.4 N/A, or 03-04 cobra swap can utilize the 96-98 ECU and harness.

Toasty

Established Member
My main idea was to get some modern low mileage more powerfull modern Ford-V8 with tranny and drop it in. Well "drop it in" could sound wrong, grindeing and fabricateing isn't problem at all. I'm not realy keen on that idea to rebuilt old engine.

Keep on dreaming. =)

Seriously dude, a C-head swap with cams and ported intake on the stock 4.6 engine will get you close to or slightly over 400 rwhp. You will need to find someone to tune the car in Finland or buy a tuning package and do it yourself.

Shipping heads and some cams and intake to Finland sounds alot cheaper than an entire engine.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The new 5.0 and the Variable cam timing will require a full harness and ECU swap. A 5.4 GT500, regular 5.4 N/A, or 03-04 cobra swap can utilize the 96-98 ECU and harness.

True, but I would still prefere the 5.0 Coyote over the GT 500 5.4. That big heavy engine barely fits between the shock towers of an SN95, not to mention the amount of relocating that has to be done for various accessories.

The Coyote on the other hand is smaller dimensionally compared to the 4.6 DOHC, weighs less and makes more power. Not to mention the wow factor you would get with having one in an SN95 Cobra:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: In due time there will be plenty of 5.0 Coyote engines, harnesses and ECU's available as this new engine is in the mass produce(compared to a Cobra) gt.

MouTine

Established Member
Seriously dude, a C-head swap with cams and ported intake on the stock 4.6 engine will get you close to or slightly over 400 rwhp. You will need to find someone to tune the car in Finland or buy a tuning package and do it yourself.

Shipping heads and some cams and intake to Finland sounds alot cheaper than an entire engine.
Yes, that is a one of the problems. I'm so jealous, you guys have some tuner with dyno rolls and softwares in almost every city town and county. Here in Finland we have absolutly non as far as I know. That's why I wanna do it with full loom and ECU.

SVTeeshirt

Established Member

eh, with the stock 281 400whp? With C heads? probably closer to 380?

venomous99

Established Member
its probably not the most cost effective way of producing those power levels but it sure will turn heads when u pop the hood. if money is not a big concern id move forward w/ the project.

jazz05

Established Member
For what its worth I know the guys at AAA they're great to deal with and can help you with what ever you need, GT500 engine would be the easiest swap , tuning remotely should be cake

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Yes, that is a one of the problems. I'm so jealous, you guys have some tuner with dyno rolls and softwares in almost every city town and county. Here in Finland we have absolutly non as far as I know. That's why I wanna do it with full loom and ECU.

Sounds like a good business opportunity if you've got the ambition to learn.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
check out the July 5.0 magazine. there is an sn95 saleen with the gt500 swap. looks like a total pain in the ass.

My tuner, Jeff Wightman at Precision Autosports got that car running for them. They had hooked everything up but couldn't get it running, he fixed the fuel and ignition systems and the owner had someone else tune it.

Users who are viewing this thread