plasti dipped cars and trucks

nxhappy

Established Member
so I bought some plasti dip, I'm going to spray my F250 since the paint is ****ed in many places . Anybody have tips and tricks for this job? If it turns out like shit I dont care lol, the dip only cost me $80. Don't really care if you hate plasti dip = )

CV355

_
Established Member
My experience with it is limited but I was surprised to find that the prep work was rather minimal- wash and dry thoroughly, mask thoroughly, done. Anywhere where you can "tuck" painters tape or masking paper/sheeting under a body seam will work better, since you can lift and tear edges otherwise. I re-did some small areas on my Volvo and had to re-do one since I tore it up when unmasking. Also did my motorcycle helmet- it has held up extremely well.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Wow, gallon cans now? Sure has come a long way with hvlp spray guns, is that how you're going to apply? Wonder if this would run through an airless. I use the cans like an airless, but closer. If you have cans just keep it 3-4 inches away and consistent speed/distance and keep a wet edge, and spray it thick it does level out but can run.

I just did my diamond plated tool box and it's very forgiving and came out flawless used 8 cans and that was two coats lol.

Black2010

Established Member
As already said, apply several coats. If you have to few it is a PITA to remove. I've done several wheels for friends and family when they just wanted a change and they have all come out nice. Little orange peel to them but what do you expect for the price. My wife had her wheels done for 3 years and still looked good with reg washes.

Be sure to mask off things you don't want it on and can't easily get to. Think over spray here. Direct stray isn't a problem as it will come off easily.

Take all the safety precautions you do with paint. I see so many people spraying this stuff with just a dust mask. You don't want that crap in your lungs.

Give the car a good wash and let it dry FULLY. Any water getting under the dip will make it bubble and come off. Also, if you have any dead clear flaking off, wet sand it smooth. Dip will cover minor stuff pretty well but it wont do miracles.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Only thing that ever stood out to me is having the plasti-dip warm (like, soak it in hot water) and that'll help it lay down nicer. That's mostly for spraying out of a can, not sure about a gallon.

nxhappy

Established Member
I think hardest part will be finding the thinner. CA has banned all sorts of chemicals. I think they have a "knock off" xylene.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I think hardest part will be finding the thinner. CA has banned all sorts of chemicals. I think they have a "knock off" xylene.

Dipyourcar.com has ca compliant gallons.

Check out drpigment.com as well for a product called Raail airwrap. Sprays just like plastidip and gives a better finish.

I've done a dozen or so full cars. Nothing too difficult.

First coat should be a light tack coat. Give it a solid 15 minutes between coats. Make sure you use enough product.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
Make sure that your clear coat isn't peeling or chipped, as removing the plasti-dip could pull it up more when you remove it.

It's a work truck/mud machine so I really don't care lol. This dip is a just a cheap project. The driver side has some faded paint. Not really worth it to paint this truck for $1500-2000.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
I used to really like Plasti-Dip.... Then I used it on my Land Cruiser hood. Made me not a fan. Then removing it from my LX (not properly applied by PO) and I downright despise the stuff lol.

The Land Cruiser has a faded hood. I cleaned and even waxed it to make removal easier. Did four coats 30 min between and removal was not anywhere near as easy as the videos.. After another two coats it came off easier but was still an inch by inch process. Pressure washer and additional thickness helped A LOT.

The LX was a nightmare. Though it was pretty much all things to stay away from for the stuff. Faded paint, chipping clear, 3/4 of a coat on the roof, likely left in sun for quite a while baking it into the aforementioned roached clear / paint.

WD40, a razor blade, pressure washer, wire brush, and at least 10 hours later and I finally removed (most of) the stuff off the car. Millimeter by millimeter lol. I would love to pummel the testicles of the jack off who applied the stuff.

nxhappy

Established Member
I used to really like Plasti-Dip.... Then I used it on my Land Cruiser hood. Made me not a fan. Then removing it from my LX (not properly applied by PO) and I downright despise the stuff lol.

The Land Cruiser has a faded hood. I cleaned and even waxed it to make removal easier. Did four coats 30 min between and removal was not anywhere near as easy as the videos.. After another two coats it came off easier but was still an inch by inch process. Pressure washer and additional thickness helped A LOT.

The LX was a nightmare. Though it was pretty much all things to stay away from for the stuff. Faded paint, chipping clear, 3/4 of a coat on the roof, likely left in sun for quite a while baking it into the aforementioned roached clear / paint.

WD40, a razor blade, pressure washer, wire brush, and at least 10 hours later and I finally removed (most of) the stuff off the car. Millimeter by millimeter lol. I would love to pummel the testicles of the jack off who applied the stuff.
definitely needs to be applied the right way. hopefully it turns out ok. don't really care cause the current paint is ****ed lol ....and I have to do some bondo work

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Turtle wax bug and tar remover softens the stuff up a ton when you decide to remove it. I used it on my wheels with a pressure washer and it cleaned it off spotlessly!

nxhappy

Established Member
started taping off all the trim ....way too damn hot outside ! gonna start again later lol

Users who are viewing this thread