Plaid doing work

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Electric cars are fast at one thing only, and not any better for the environment. Here is a report from the Congressional Research Service comparing ICEV's to BEV's. The conclusion is that it depends on how you calculate total environmental impact: 1) BEV's might get better fuel efficiency, but that it is really debatable due to the oil required to extract the fuel to power the natural gas and coal power plants and the line and conversion losses to get it to the ground. 2) BEV's are likely overall more toxic to the environment in the long term, due to battery creation and expiration: Extracting fuel is about the same, but manufacturing and recycling a gas tank is much easier on the planet than the electrical energy storage media we have today.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R46420...GyR-lgq_H0EzS8HR9TD67ZqbIDsoiDEXibn6kshTYW8TY

The government is selecting a loser alternative energy. And the consumer is falling for it by spending their money on it. I sit back and wonder why people are falling for government mandated solutions, and not demanding that the free market select the best solution for an alternative energy vehicle.

I think plug in gas-electric hybrid should be the rage right now: Mount an electric motor in the transmission and get 40 miles of low power commuting 100% electric range, with a gas engine for max HP and extended range travels.

Cool. If I want to go on a road trip I’ll drive my 2019 Tahoe and tow my supercharged jet ski or enclosed trailer with my 1000cc SXS. Different vehicles for different uses.

FWIW I gapsized one of your GT350 brethren on my commute home from work one day. Maybe word got around and that’s why you’re salty.

CLN 6R

Established Member
Electric cars are fast at one thing only, and not any better for the environment. Here is a report from the Congressional Research Service comparing ICEV's to BEV's. The conclusion is that it depends on how you calculate total environmental impact: 1) BEV's might get better fuel efficiency, but that it is really debatable due to the oil required to extract the fuel to power the natural gas and coal power plants and the line and conversion losses to get it to the ground. 2) BEV's are likely overall more toxic to the environment in the long term, due to battery creation and expiration: Extracting fuel is about the same, but manufacturing and recycling a gas tank is much easier on the planet than the electrical energy storage media we have today.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R46420...GyR-lgq_H0EzS8HR9TD67ZqbIDsoiDEXibn6kshTYW8TY

The government is selecting a loser alternative energy. And the consumer is falling for it by spending their money on it. I sit back and wonder why people are falling for government mandated solutions, and not demanding that the free market select the best solution for an alternative energy vehicle.

I think plug in gas-electric hybrid should be the rage right now: Mount an electric motor in the transmission and get 40 miles of low power commuting 100% electric range, with a gas engine for max HP and extended range travels.
And that’s fine, I didn’t buy the Tesla to save the planet. I bought it cuz it’s quick and it’s fun, despite what a lot of people think, it’s a fun vehicle to drive.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I think a lot of people are missing that many of the high performance EVs are more a proof of concept and to create a market. The tech will get there eventually. I will agree saying they are "green" isn't entirely accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread