Piston Slap

elyrain

Established Member
Yeah, it was cold yesterday, 50 deg or so, cold for cali anyways.It was making all kinds of noise till it warmed up. I'm pretty sure that's what is was.

I don't remember my 01 being loud at start up or while driving. It did have a loud slap though when I had spun rod bearing though.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Yeah, it was cold yesterday, 50 deg or so, cold for cali anyways.It was making all kinds of noise till it warmed up. I'm pretty sure that's what is was.

who built your motor, and what are the p/w clearances. should say on your build sheet.

as for your problem, what kinda pistons were used?

My JE pistons made a good bit of noise when cold. My CPs however, are nearly dead silent. Sounds like a stock motor.

cobrob

all natural poster
Established Member
The stock motor almost all make noise when its cold out at under 3000 rpm. not idle. But if it never used to do it when it was cold and just started i might be worried!

elyrain

Established Member
these are the cheap probe pistons, I don't know if it matters but the rings are gapped for nitrous, .020 on top I think. It was built by a good shop.

A rod knock does not go away when warm, this goes away completely. I think I may have a header leak...

Quadcammer

Established Member
ring gap doesn't matter, piston to wall clearance does. I don't care how good the shop was, if they don't give you a build sheet, they blow.

Piston slap isn't the end of the world, but you need to know why its occurring. If its because the p/w is a bit bigger for nitrous, ok, but if its because you have collapsed skirts, then its a problem.

Im assuming these "cheap" probe pistons are 4032 alloy? If so, then the motor should be dead silent. They don't expand as much as 2618.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
FWIW I've had piston slap on my stock '01 Cobra for about 4 years. Sounds like a soft rattle between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm when cold...disappears at full operating temperature (5 to 10 minutes). Ford's says it's normal on some stock Cobra's (TSB about it)...not that I believe them. If it was a rod bearing it would have gone years ago. If your sound is similar and disappears when warm my guess is piston slap. Don't forged pistons slap in some aluminum motors? (I know stock '01 pistons aren't forged, but maybe yours are.)

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
yes, forged pistons typically slap more. But his are 4032, which expand less than the more common 2618. Plus, some better pistons are pretty damn quiet (CP and diamond)

302venom

yeah its only a 99..
Established Member
well mine was "rebuilt" 6-7k ago and it knocks crazy.I ordered a new mtr. from mmr. idk if you can hear it in this vid.but its wayyy louder now

th_MVI_0027.jpg

th_MVI_0026.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread