Piston Garage Art

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Morning SVTP! Wanted to show you guys something I've been working on.

I like to buy old pistons and coat them. Usually I get just the piston and make some cool little ashtrays/desk ornaments.

But the last set of pistons I bought had the rods still attached, so an ashtray wouldn't do. Did a little brain storming, drew up some files for the plasma table and cut out this clock. Let me know what you think.

The coating options are endless on this, but I did this one in a nice candy red!
Started out with the clock face and back plate. I acid washed the mill scale off of the hot rolled steel, then took a flapper wheel to it. Kind of a cool finish with the candy over it.

Did the same thing on the base plate. You see the pipe welded to the base plate..this is where the pistons attach. Had to put the pipe in the lathe and turn it down some to make it the perfect fit

On the racing flags, I put a matte black carbon fiber. These flags are raised off the base plate and backlit with bright white LED's. There's a chrome vinyl thrown in there too to help reflect the light.

With the LED's lit up. (daylight)

On the pistons, I did a chrome/candy red combo.

The clock face is lit with multi colored LED's. You can pick the color along with a few effects. Change the brightness, or turn them off completely. The clock mechanism is 110v powered, so there's no AA battery to ever replace. The entire clock is powered off of one simple cord. Buried in the belly of the clock is all of the 110v AC-12v DC converters. The LED remote tucks nicely into the pipe that the pistons mount to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhkOxdPh7kE

This piston clock is for sale too. $500 + Shipping. I'll be making another one here shortly in a comp orange color scheme too! Stay tuned.

I'll get some better night time picks tonight.

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Do you do this stuff for a living? Because you should be doing this stuff for a living..

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Thanks a lot fellas! Appreciate the kind words.

Do you do this stuff for a living? Because you should be doing this stuff for a living..

Yes, Sir!

pretty cool!

I have 8 Coyote pistons and rods laying around...hmmm

Sell them to me! I'll make you something. I've got a couple more ideas rambling around in my head. I'll be making more car art very soon!

u n v kenny

Established Member
So sick! I love it. I didn't read all the comments, but do you sell this type of art?

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
awesome! i like the first clock you did mainly because it looks like it belongs in a garage.

Same clock, that's just before the coating was done. You're not the first person to tell me that though.

That's awesome. What do u coat them with?

This one is all powder coated. Flags are powder coated/hydro dipped.

So sick! I love it. I didn't read all the comments, but do you sell this type of art?

Yes Sir! This one is for sale now and I have a couple more in the works that can still be coated any color. I might do one with a drag tree.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Something cool for sure!

If you made a bigger cirlce for the clock it would be cool to use the pistons and rods as the clock arms. Probably not as easy at it seems with the weight and all though

Users who are viewing this thread