Piston debris

mustarrosa

Established Member
I had to have my supercharger replaced due to the wearing of the compressor blades that apparently touched together? After the new install, about a week later I had the check engine light come on and the engine was running rough. The check engine said "misfire" in #7 cylinder. I pulled the plug and the gap was completly closed and looked like it was tapped closed and I remember a pinging sound in the engine. I ran the engine with the plug hole open and replaced the plug and the car ran fine..for two weeks and it did it again..the plug looks like it had been peppered and it had little dings all around the gap edge. I repeated the engine runnning with the plug out and now the next day another occurrance . .. I cannot understand why this piece has not caused valve damage..or maybe it has but the car runs fine till the plug shows little dings all around the edge and the gap is closed. Some say it is due to detonation or running lean in that cylinder andyway has anyone else heard of this. Only one cyllinder?

mullens

Established Member
I little history...mods? Stock SC?
I hate to say it but you probably have some piston damage. Detonation alone would not hammer a plug flat. Cylinders 7&8 notoriously run hot and if you are on the edge with your tuning it could make the difference. Get that sucker scoped.

Last edited:

mustarrosa

Established Member
3.4 Whipple/Crusher-17lbs boost-Monoblade TB-C&L/CAI
75lb injectors-
ARH Lontubes/MagnaFlow-
IW lower crank pulley-
SCT tune by HPP racing-

rdsnk46

Established Member
My 3.4 failed with a similar issue. I completely dismantled my intake and intercooler core and had to flush it out 4 times with cleaner before I got all of the debris out. Did you take your car apart to inspect the intake tract?

Whipple said they were going to compensate me with a Crusher inlet system for my labor and down time, I haven't heard from them on it. I wonder if they will make good on their word?

HARLEYDEALER

Established Member
My 3.4 failed with a similar issue. I completely dismantled my intake and intercooler core and had to flush it out 4 times with cleaner before I got all of the debris out. Did you take your car apart to inspect the intake tract?

Whipple said they were going to compensate me with a Crusher inlet system for my labor and down time, I haven't heard from them on it. I wonder if they will make good on their word?

Guys if I was you, I would be asking for them to pay for a topend inspection at the very least, if its true that their blower contaminated the topend, This is some serious stuff! Bill

mustarrosa

Established Member

They will come through for you

rdsnk46

Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread