Piston damage, causes?

03Steve

Established Member
****. I am very sorry to see this Nick. That's a lot of cheese down the drain.

We have worked with a similar combo on a 2.2L car. 23psi and 93 octane. But we were at Gateway, ice loaded in the car, 57 degree IAT2 temps at the starting line, and only running 1/8 mile. That loooong 1:1 pull on a dyno with that boost and octane is very very risky. OJ lost a motor back in 2006 at KCIR with detonation/pump gas/14psi turbo as well. He was not happy.

A most very important variable, no matter what octane, boost level, compression, intercooling, etc...is cylinder to cylinder EGT. Tony and I have seen a very nice "Red Alert" brand system on a local car at the track during Midnight Madness. It's around $800-$1000, depending on desired options. There is an EGT sensor right at the exhaust port on each header tube.

Depending on conditions you program, the Red Alert system will break open or close a set of contacts when the temperature in any single (or combination) of cylinders exceeds a preset temperature. What you do with that change of state is up to you. The car Tony and I saw is a nitrous car. They shut the nitrous off with the contacts.

Anywho, all the information doesn't help you at all right now...but I just wanted to pass along. If you decide that you would like an additional level of protection from an event like this in the future, look into the Red Alert system.

Also, thank you very much for documenting your Eaton swap years ago. I have one going on in the garage over here right now. Your info has saved me a lot of time and money. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Gene's what in where, Illinois?

Nick!

Crap!!!

Don't just let ANYONE tune a forged/built 2.x Kenne Bell man!!! Get it to the pros!!!

Sorry that happened, and that is definitely a SEVERE case of detonation that took out a ringland. Not good.

How much boost, and what kind of fuel was in the tank?

EDIT: Just saw.... 20 psi and 93 octane. A little close to the edge for my blood.
haha yeah i guess i was sorta fooled into thinking they had a lot of experience. i mean the main reason for me going there instead of Kurgan again was distance. it was like a 20 min drive instead of 4.5 hours...either way, big lesson learned for sure. i know it was on the edge as far as boost with that octane, it was just supposed to be a temp thing until i got a bigger fuel setup for e85.

yes i actually talked to a couple place and they said the heads are salvageable. even if they are though i'd almost rather start with a whole new set...

****. I am very sorry to see this Nick. That's a lot of cheese down the drain.

We have worked with a similar combo on a 2.2L car. 23psi and 93 octane. But we were at Gateway, ice loaded in the car, 57 degree IAT2 temps at the starting line, and only running 1/8 mile. That loooong 1:1 pull on a dyno with that boost and octane is very very risky. OJ lost a motor back in 2006 at KCIR with detonation/pump gas/14psi turbo as well. He was not happy.

A most very important variable, no matter what octane, boost level, compression, intercooling, etc...is cylinder to cylinder EGT. Tony and I have seen a very nice "Red Alert" brand system on a local car at the track during Midnight Madness. It's around $800-$1000, depending on desired options. There is an EGT sensor right at the exhaust port on each header tube.

Depending on conditions you program, the Red Alert system will break open or close a set of contacts when the temperature in any single (or combination) of cylinders exceeds a preset temperature. What you do with that change of state is up to you. The car Tony and I saw is a nitrous car. They shut the nitrous off with the contacts.

Anywho, all the information doesn't help you at all right now...but I just wanted to pass along. If you decide that you would like an additional level of protection from an event like this in the future, look into the Red Alert system.

Also, thank you very much for documenting your Eaton swap years ago. I have one going on in the garage over here right now. Your info has saved me a lot of time and money. :)
thanks for all the info man. yeah either way it won't buy my new motor lol...and no problemo on the eaton setup! i can't tell you how many people i've helped along with theirs. i know you know your stuff, but if you've got any questions pm me and i'll shoot you my number.

BLK_03

Established Member
haha yeah i guess i was sorta fooled into thinking they had a lot of experience. i mean the main reason for me going there instead of Kurgan again was distance. it was like a 20 min drive instead of 4.5 hours...either way, big lesson learned for sure. i know it was on the edge as far as boost with that octane, it was just supposed to be a temp thing until i got a bigger fuel setup for e85.

yes i actually talked to a couple place and they said the heads are salvageable. even if they are though i'd almost rather start with a whole new set...

thanks for all the info man. yeah either way it won't buy my new motor lol...and no problemo on the eaton setup! i can't tell you how many people i've helped along with theirs. i know you know your stuff, but if you've got any questions pm me and i'll shoot you my number.

When a ringland lets go on the dyno, it is DEFINITELY something noticeable. I know from experience (unfortunately). There will be a LOT of smoke out of the exhaust. Enough to fill the dyno room. Not to mention the noise while broken piston bits are banging around in the combustion chamber. There is no way that shop didn't know something happened at that point.

03Steve

Established Member

Shoot, the only reason I "know my stuff" on this go around is due to you doing all the initial legwork. If I get the same results you did on a stock pulley I will be more than happy. :beer:

Thanks Nick.

03Steve

Established Member
Nick,

I hate to play devil's advocate here...but what year car is your 2.6L KB on? If this is an 01 Cobra, you put a block plate on the blower's IAT2 location...and the tuner was referencing the IAT1 location for spark retard with ACT...

Send me a PM if you would like.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Shoot, the only reason I "know my stuff" on this go around is due to you doing all the initial legwork. If I get the same results you did on a stock pulley I will be more than happy. :beer:

Thanks Nick.
haha yeah that car did damn well...thanks!

Nick,

I hate to play devil's advocate here...but what year car is your 2.6L KB on? If this is an 01 Cobra, you put a block plate on the blower's IAT2 location...and the tuner was referencing the IAT1 location for spark retard with ACT...

Send me a PM if you would like.
no, i actually did it different on my 01. i actually used a standard press in air temp sensor and made a hold down plate and then just extended my wires to it. direct clip in and reading air temps right after the blower like on an 03 :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread