Pinion angle noise???

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
I put in steeda adjustable control arms and had the angle off. This was years ago. Ruined the gears in the diiferential in very few miles. Its also a very distinct noise, not like something rubbing. Any chance you changed pinion angle while changing your bushings or control arms?

I didn't even remove the upper arms, and the lowers went right back in without any axle movement after I installed the bushings.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
Laying in bed last night not able to sleep because of this I was wondering if the possibility of the new poly bushings in the lower control arms could be passing the noise through them and perhaps that's what I hear? I would imagine that the new poly bushings would be better at transferring sound than old worn out rubber bushings, and maybe it is picking up the sounds from a axle bearing going out! Any thoughts on this idea? Or am I wasting sleeping time worrying about this?

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
hey Brunobrat, i did the loading of the car to get the suspension loaded down, and I tried to move the upper control arms and there was no movement. Thanks for the idea man.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
Thank you all for any and all ideas, I took the snake to a tranny shop close to me about an hr. ago, they ran it up on the lift with the motor running, in gear at about 10 mph, and listened to the axle from one side to the other with a stethoscope and their conclusion was that the right side axle has spun the bearing, and that it will probably start leaking fluid soon as the seal goes. He said that the bearing needs to be changed asap to prevent it from ruining the axle shaft. He thinks it hasn't got that serious yet.
Any thoughts about this diagnosis?

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
That is a fairly inexpensive fix, wouldn't hurt to just do it. Could prevent the purchase of a new axle down the road.

johnnyrambo41

Established Member
I think its sounds very likely after reading your post saying the problem may have been there, poly bushings will definitly amplify nvh (noise,vibration,harshness), and its pretty hard to screw up with a stethescope, cudos to the tranny guys for doing what the dealer wouldnt, but hes right about changing the bearing asap before it ruins the axle. To be on the safe side have them also check the pinion angle, the should definitly have a pinion gauge being a tranny shop.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
I think its sounds very likely after reading your post saying the problem may have been there, poly bushings will definitly amplify nvh (noise,vibration,harshness), and its pretty hard to screw up with a stethescope, cudos to the tranny guys for doing what the dealer wouldnt, but hes right about changing the bearing asap before it ruins the axle. To be on the safe side have them also check the pinion angle, the should definitly have a pinion gauge being a tranny shop.

Hey johnnyrambo, thanks for the post, and thanks to all of the great people on the SVT forums that have added your ideas. I only drive the snake at most 1500 mi. per yr. so it sits in my garage waiting for summer, but I will get the bearing repaired later on this week, & I'll also have them check out the pinion angle.
:idea:

Users who are viewing this thread