Pinion angle noise???

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
Ok, everyone on SVT Performance forums said my car looked like it was a 4X4, so I finally got around to LOWERING my car last week. As soon as I drove it out onto the street their was a noise coming from my rear axle area that sounds like metal against metal. So I took it to the local Ford boys to have it figured out. The Mechanic that checked it out said that the noise is coming from the differential, and it was by all counts from lowering the car, thereby causing the "PINION ANGLE BEING CHANGED DUE TO LOWERING SPRINGS".
What my question is; have the rest of you people heard of this? Did this happen when you lowered your cars? I only dropped it 1" both ends. Is this normal, should I be concerned? Do I need to do something to the Dif. to change it to the correct angle.
I know, the sound it's making isn't like Horatio blowing his horn, but I am used to only hearing the motor, and exhaust so forgive me for being paranoid. :whine:

CJK440

Established Member
Pinion angle issues usually result in a vibration.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
Pinion angle issues usually result in a vibration.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

there is a little vibration, but more of the noise like metal on metal kinda a high pitch whine. The guy at Ford said "just turn up the radio louder, it will be ok". yea right!:whine:

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
They (Ford) said that the rear end would probably need to be rebuilt sometime in the future because of "excessive" wear. Said it was going to cost like 2,200.00 to do it. what the hell????

CJK440

Established Member
Plenty of people installed lowering springs on Quad link mustangs without needing to fool with pinion angle.

Something has to be rubbing.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
Plenty of people installed lowering springs on Quad link mustangs without needing to fool with pinion angle.

Something has to be rubbing.

That's what I was thinking.
I had never heard of this being caused by lowering the car, and only 1"??? Someone feeding me bs? I suspect the Ford mechanic couldn't figure it out so blamed it on the springs.
So in your esteemed opinion where should I take this to, too have them figure it out? To me it sounds like it is coming from the right rear wheel area. They tore the brakes all the way down and replaced the rear brakes and disc's, replaced the E. brake cable, lubed wherever it needed it, said it wasn't a problem with the R. bearing and seal. What next friends?

johnnyrambo41

Established Member
You are definitly taking it to the wrong dealer, if they cant duplicate or find a noise, thats pretty bad, its called chassis ears guys, and it sounds like theyre doing alot of parts changing on your dime hoping they fix the problem, checking the control arm bushings and pinions angles are the first things you should do, throw it up on a lift and check for obvious signs of rubbing. only dropping it an inch shouldnt change much, the suspension articulates way more than that over bumps and hard launches, good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
You are definitly taking it to the wrong dealer, if they cant duplicate or find a noise, thats pretty bad, its called chassis ears guys, and it sounds like theyre doing alot of parts changing on your dime hoping they fix the problem, checking the control arm bushings and pinions angles are the first things you should do, throw it up on a lift and check for obvious signs of rubbing. only dropping it an inch shouldnt change much, the suspension articulates way more than that over bumps and hard launches, good luck and let us know what you come up with.
Thanks a ton guys, I agree with you, the guys back in the garage probably don't want to mess with it fearing it might just be a rubbing issue and there sure isn't any money in that.
I have changed all of the bushings from front to back complete including the motor mounts, all except for the top rear control arms, which were still good, and I didn't want to change them to poly units because of stiction. When it goes over a bump there is no difference in the sound/volume, same whether at 10 mph, or up to 75, samo sound. This is got me baffled.
Thanks to all for your suggestions and ideas, help is appreciated.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
with the suspension loaded, check if the upper control arms can be moved by hand, side to side:beer:

Do you mean put weight in the car so the suspension is loaded or is there something I missed? I'll do that asap I hear from you.
what's weird about this is that I didn't have this noise till after the bushings got replaced, and what the hell do they have to do with noise from the axle?
Could it be what I am hearing has always been there, but the rubber that was in the Lower control arms killed the noise, and the polyurethane is transmitting the noise:read::(????

96vertsnake

Established Member
I put in steeda adjustable control arms and had the angle off. This was years ago. Ruined the gears in the diiferential in very few miles. Its also a very distinct noise, not like something rubbing. Any chance you changed pinion angle while changing your bushings or control arms?

96vertsnake

Established Member
I put in steeda adjustable control arms and had the angle off. This was years ago. Ruined the gears in the diiferential in very few miles. Its also a very distinct noise, not like something rubbing. Any chance you changed pinion angle while changing your bushings or control arms?

Also, at worst case it shouldnt be more than $600-$800 to rebuild. Parts should be $300.-$400 including the carrier bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread