Pilot bearing

speedybolt

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
I'm about to install my new clutch and it came with a new pilot bearing. Are they the pressed into the crank itself or the flywheel? Any new ideas on how to get them out or is the old grease and dowl rod still the best way?

03cobramanIII

Banned
get a cheap puller from the parts house, use it then bring it back in unused looking condition and tell them you found your old one after opening it up. LOL. i do stuff like all the time.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I'm about to install my new clutch and it came with a new pilot bearing. Are they the pressed into the crank itself or the flywheel? Any new ideas on how to get them out or is the old grease and dowl rod still the best way?

You can also use Play-Doh and a rod. It's much easier to push in behind the bearing and the cleanup is a breeze...

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
always borrow a tool from autozone its 46 bucks but as soon as u return it they refund the money. put the new pilot bearing in before you put in the flywheel. it goes in the end of the crank then take a socket or the old pilot bearing and tap it in with a hammer. make sure it goes in evenly and is flush when through. take a look at the old bearing before you pull it out to see how it goes.

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
do i need to unbolt anything else after i remove the flywheel, and the round shim? or is that everything, then i pull the piolt bearing from the crank? right?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
good luck getting it out with the grease trick. ive done about 10 clutch installs between my 3 cobras ive had, and it didnt work for either, and it was a BITCH to get the pilot bearing out every time but once. they are so in there, i have bent the arms on snap on, mac, and cornwell pilot bearing pullers. never seen a car that was such a PITA to pull the pilot bearing. it has taken me 2 hours to get the pilot bearing out before

one time it just popped out though, and for your sake, i hope this is the case with yours.

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
screw that grease, bread,soap,wet newspaper, playdoh, whatever else trick.

a 5/8 slide hammer and part # 27059 from Autozone, 3 good wacks with the slide hammer and out comes the bearing NO PROBLEM. i had to learn this the hard way. After 3+ hours of BSing i went to Autozone got home, less then 5 mins and the bearing was in my hand

Users who are viewing this thread