Pike Peak Airstrip Attack

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Several of us who attended yesterday's Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack had a good time despite our speeds being a little slower than last year. Thankfully, heat was not much of a problem, but traction certainly was. Our best speed of the day went to kpinco, who hit 159MPH. I hit 153MPH. O.W. Kenobeno and WHT03SVTCOLO hit 151MPH. My two favorite runs of the day included...

Overcoming a bit of a traction deficit in this match-up against a Z06.

A friendly match-up with O.W. Kenobeno.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congrats on the speed of 153. I tried to watch the video (matchup against Z06) but Photobucket isn't happy that I'm using an AdBlocker. And I won't disable it. What was your best speed last year?

fearthesnake

Established Member
Dang Norton. You really flew by the Z06. For some reason I thought you were mostly stock and thought the Z06 may have let out for some reason until I read your power numbers in your sig, lol.

Did I hear a chuckle or grunt (like bye-bye) from you when you hit the shift that smoked the Z06? Maybe that 4th gear hit!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks, guys! All of us who'd done it previously registered speeds that were 5-10MPH slower than both our previous years. Suspect the differences were due to traction problems, a moderate head wind, and having passengers on all our runs this year. (PPAA permits passengers to ride along, and we had family & friends who did so.)

There was, indeed, a chuckle/grunt when we pulled ahead of the Z06. It actually came from my son, not me.

I was, in fact, mostly stock until about a month ago when I added JLT 127mm CF CAI, CFM Twin Jet 67mm TB, VMP 2.4" Upper, 90mm Idler, BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow, and NGK TR7-IX plugs to accompany a previously installed VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger and Reische 170' Thermostat. (Tuning was done by Elite Performance in Littleton, CO.) I'm, now, convinced of the need for tires more suited to the task...

I apologize for the video difficulties some have reported. I've used Photobucket for years, along with an AdBlocker, and never had a problem. They must have changed something.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Thanks, guys! All of us who'd done it previously registered speeds that were 5-10MPH slower than both our previous years. Suspect the differences were due to traction problems, a moderate head wind, and having passengers on all our runs this year. (PPAA permits passengers to ride along, and we had family & friends who did so.)

There was, indeed, a chuckle/grunt when we pulled ahead of the Z06. It actually came from my son, not me.

I was, in fact, mostly stock until about a month ago when I added JLT 127mm CF CAI, CFM Twin Jet 67mm TB, VMP 2.4" Upper, 90mm Idler, BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow, and NGK TR7-IX plugs to accompany a previously installed VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger and Reische 170' Thermostat. (Tuning was done by Elite Performance in Littleton, CO.) I'm, now, convinced of the need for tires more suited to the task...

I apologize for the video difficulties some have reported. I've used Photobucket for years, along with an AdBlocker, and never had a problem. They must have changed something.
Still darn impressive to pull a Z06 on top end even with those bolt on's. I guess the 100+ hp comes into play once you hook up.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Norton, I had a great run against you... until I missed 5th, LOL! Great meeting you and seeing your car.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Norton, I had a great run against you... until I missed 5th, LOL! Great meeting you and seeing your car.
Unfortunately, stuff like that happens to all of us from time-to-time - I had a couple of runs on Sunday I'd rather forget too.

It was great meeting you (and your family?) as well! Not sure what part of Denver you're in, but please consider joining us for some Colorado Car Addicts and/or CO Shelby Breakfast Club activities.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Seems like Photobucket has become more of a problem than it's worth!

I just uploaded my videos to YouTube and re-posted them with new download links. Give them another try and let me know how they work (or don't work)...

Users who are viewing this thread