Picture taking gurus needed. Need help buying camera.

prochargedcobra

BADENUF
Established Member
Im a noob with cameras and want to get into taking pictures. I have no idea what cameras out there are the best. I want something that takes clear pics and can get a decent zoom. Can you picture taking gurus help me with this? Im a contractor so I need to take good pics to save my butt and I want to take pics like you guys do of your cars. I would like to stay under 3-400 dollars.

Last edited:

portcity_gt

Established Member
it depends on what ur going to use it for...and if you want to spend a couple hundred or a couple thousand.

i have a canon sd600, that works just fine for my needs, and it was only $200

but i would stick with canon of fuji there the best imo

95kobrah

Established Member
Canon S3 IS

Canon A710 IS

Fuji S700

Nikon P5000

Nikon S10

All excellent cameras in your price range with good zooms and lots of features

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
I will 2nd the Canon S3-IS. They have already been replaced by the S5-IS so they are pretty reasonable right now. I got mine for 350 from Newegg with a 2gig CF card and overnight for 350. They will take some VERY nice pics.

Do a search and look for the thread I posted in pics and vids with some shots from my S3.

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
i like canon and if you are going for a camera to take some nice snapshots try something from the SD series.. i like the SD630 because it has a large screen. if you want to take some better pics and think you may want to get into photography alittle more you could get the rebel xti, but i warn you, buying lenses is as addictive as buying speed parts for your car. the next step up would be the 5d and the markII or markIII now.... i wouldnt reccomend those if you are a beginner though

Jesterjr

Still in College and Poor
Established Member
I have a canon 10D (yeah i bought it when it first came out) and an SD1000. Both cameras take great pics, just for totally different applications. I agree with something from the SD series. Theres only a few cameras out there that you are going to get good zoom with without going to a DSLR, so i would just get a nice pocket camera that takes good pics. I got my SD 1000 for $209

IShb3w

Established Member
i like the A series rather than the SD from Canon, they have more features

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
Dude, if you are truly looking to stay in a reasonable price range, you might as well throw SLR out the window. It will cost you well over $1000 to get it right and if you are just learning the hobby, there are plenty of cameras that will take pics that will blow your mind w/o splurging big. Sure those are nice cams but they are professional rigs. I personally find it funny when someone wants to snap some pics of their car and blow thousands of dollars only to come out with a professional setup that due to user incompetence won't take any better pics than a $100 point and shoot cam.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you want an easy to use Point and Shoot that fits nicely into your pocket, takes great pics, and has a zoom, consider these.
Canon SD800 IS - $300. average street price (3.8X optical zoom with 28mm wide angle)
Canon SD 850 IS - $350. average street price (4X optical zoom)

If you want something small with a longer zoom, look no further than the Panasonic TZ3 which came out a couple of months ago. It has the 28mm wide angle with an unbelieveable 10X optical zoom. And it isn't much bigger than the Canon SD800/850 IS cameras. Average street price is $300. Photo quality at the lowest ISO100 in daylight is very good, although a notch below the Canons.

Users who are viewing this thread