Picture taking Guru's, how do you take great pics?

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
Night+Shots+007.jpg

Tripods are your friend on night shots

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
before
Memorial+Day+066.jpg

after
gtotz1.jpg

Here's the full size if you want it.

All i did was use turn the red, green, cyan saturation up, used quick mask(similar to lassoing the car) and a gaussian blur of the background at 1.5px.
other than that keep taking more pics.

02silver2v

Established Member
What a great thread. I have been trying to become a much better photographer as of late and this website has helped me a lot by looking at a ton of pictures and seeing what shots people like more than others. I think background has a lot to do with it. I just bought a Sony DSC-N1 and I want to try and mess around with ISO settings and such so I will have to do that. Thanks for the tips. I wanted to just post a couple of pictures I took and see what you guys think. Thanks for any feedback you have to offer to me.

stone34ly1.jpg

stone31pn0.jpg

stone24gw1.jpg

stone9ih6.jpg

stone12kl3.jpg

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
02silver2v said:
I wanted to just post a couple of pictures I took and see what you guys think. Thanks for any feedback you have to offer to me.

I think you have the tires i want and for that i hate you. Just kidding, i like your pics alot, i can mess with them a little later today.

-elliott

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
02 silver, didn't you start another thread with all of these pictures a few days ago?

the third is probably the best picture of the bunch: the background is the most uncluttered and the spout from the tank is over the car so it looks like it spat out your cobra.

the last picture would have been good too but the reflections from the Z on the door really kill it...that and the picnic table(?) coming out of the rear bumper. I'm at the beginner stage too. I just got a DSLR a few months ago and haven't done any auto photography with it until last weekend. Composing is tough because everything will look fine from one angle and then you go to change it up a little and you have a light pole sticking out of the hood or someone's rusted beater in the background.

your pictures are super sharp. i'd start playing around with composition and try some panning/tracking shots too.

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
This thread is EXCELLENT!! I have noticed that while photoshop is great, nothing will replace a great picture. Many people rely on photoshop to clear up errors. I use photoshop but I try to use it as little as possible. I love this thread, LOL!!

-Mike

02silver2v

Established Member
Snowboarda42 said:
I think you have the tires i want and for that i hate you. Just kidding, i like your pics alot, i can mess with them a little later today.

-elliott

Teach me how to be a pro in photoshop and I think we can work a trade. haha. Thanks for the compliment can't wait to see you work your magic with them.

TomBoJangles said:
02 silver, didn't you start another thread with all of these pictures a few days ago?

the third is probably the best picture of the bunch: the background is the most uncluttered and the spout from the tank is over the car so it looks like it spat out your cobra.

the last picture would have been good too but the reflections from the Z on the door really kill it...that and the picnic table(?) coming out of the rear bumper. I'm at the beginner stage too. I just got a DSLR a few months ago and haven't done any auto photography with it until last weekend. Composing is tough because everything will look fine from one angle and then you go to change it up a little and you have a light pole sticking out of the hood or someone's rusted beater in the background.

your pictures are super sharp. i'd start playing around with composition and try some panning/tracking shots too.

Yeah I did the thread the other day. Guess I am whoring out the pictures too much but this is a great thread and just wanted to get feed back. I like the 3rd picture as well. I need go find some more back drops that always seems to be the hard part. Thanks again.

rjs281

Established Member
This thread is GREAT!! I just got a REBEL XT the other day and can't wait to learn how to use it.What about lens's,what are some good ones and what do you guys use?

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
rjs281 said:
This thread is GREAT!! I just got a REBEL XT the other day and can't wait to learn how to use it.What about lens's,what are some good ones and what do you guys use?

Canon L lenses > all

rjs281

Established Member
I bet those are great,i just looked at the prices for those.might be awhile before i am ready for those.what about the ef 75-300mm 4.0-5.6?

GH1086

Established Member
Snowboarda42 said:
before
Memorial+Day+066.jpg

after
gtotz1.jpg

Here's the full size if you want it.

All i did was use turn the red, green, cyan saturation up, used quick mask(similar to lassoing the car) and a gaussian blur of the background at 1.5px.
other than that keep taking more pics.
Thanks, I obviously have a huge amount to learn. What I'm doing is just using the auto setting on the camera now. I know it's a good camera capable of taking good pictures but I just suck at taking pictures. One of the things I'm really bad at is picking a nice place to take pictures. The night pictures in the train station parking lot is something I tried and it obviously dind't turn out to well. I need to get a tripod too because I have very shaky hands.

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
"I bet those are great,i just looked at the prices for those.might be awhile before i am ready for those.what about the ef 75-300mm 4.0-5.6? "

My next lens is likely the
Canon 70-200 f4 L

You should check it out. Not quite 300mm, but a great versatile lens and decently priced. I've seen some great shots with it.

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
i went out and shot the Maxi tonight with my pops. here are few panners that came out ok. I did some post work on them too.

MaximaPanner.jpg

MaximaPanner4.jpg

MaximaPanner3.jpg

MaximaPanner2.jpg

C & C welcome. all were shot with a Nikon D70s w/ 70-300mm lens, shutter priority at 1/40 or 1/50.

Zentenk

Established Member
Here are the first pictures I have ever taken of my car, I borrowed a friends camera, no idea what it was but it did very well. I would have more but I haven't bought a good camera yet.

TA0004.jpg

TA0003.jpg

TA0005.jpg

TA0001.jpg

TA0002.jpg

TA000.jpg

A photoshopped one...
TA01222.jpg

And my latest one...
park1.jpg

Some people in my club told me I need to hold my camera straight and learn how to take pictures... they must be nuts! lol, they take the boring pictures of cars. Some of the pics I held the camera way up and just hoped I was taking a picture of the car lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread