*pics* old motor piston damage

joebob450r

Established Member
Well, finally got around to ripping my toasted motor apart today. Here's what one piston looked like:
dvc0051019zx.jpg

dvc0051118ge.jpg

dvc0051215nl.jpg

dvc0051311oq.jpg

dvc0051418uc.jpg

The majority of them looked like this.

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
What happened? Droppedvalve? Lean on nitrous?

That doesn't look like the 'normal' L motor damage - the rod is still attached!!

Herb

joebob450r

Established Member
It was just lean altogether! I told the guy who tuned my truck I wanted the a/f to be around 11.8-12.0. He said no no no, that's way too rich for a F/I vehicle. Guess not, eh? The piston ring came apart, got lodged between a valve and the combustion chamber, and forced one of my cam followers out of place.

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
joebob450r said:
Haven't talked to him since, I'm afraid I'd kill him! He is definently a retard.

Yep - Big difference between EFI and supercharged EFI!! Did you get some kind of plot of the "tune" he provided you showing the AF ratio? Was it done on a dyno?

That retard owes you a new motor.

Herb

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
A n/a motor should have an a/f of @ 13, our motors should not be any leaner than 12.0-ever.

It sucks about your engine no doubt but just remember that you cannot trust anyone other than yourself to make sure all is correct. I am in no way bashing you or trying to kick you while your down, just to remind you that if you are ever at all unsure to come on here and ask us. We will not steer you wrong.

I know you will get another tuner and once again good luck on the rebuild.

joebob450r

Established Member
Fade: you're right. I guess I've really got no one to blame but myself. Oh well, I guess I'll learn from my mistakes and bring it to a respectable tuner this time.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Since you are going to have the expenditure of another engine, whether it's built or not, another $350 for a wide band is a drop in the bucket and you can tell at a glance what's going on under the hood. I wouldn't say that it's all your fault-any tuner SHOULD know better-but he's probably not going to replace your engine either.

Remember: The only stupid question is the one unasked.

The pics of your pistons are a textbook example of what prolonged detonation does to a motor. Looks like you hit the pistons with a ball peen hammer. Again good luck with the rebuild, I hope it take you less time than mine, lol.

TriPodRacing

U MAD?
Established Member
Good luck on your rebuild.

But I don't see anything wrong with those pistons. Just clean them up with a wire wheel and file the edges down. They will be like brand new used......... :D

You probably won't get anything from your tuner but I would show the dim wit. Be like "Look I told you it was to lean douch bag." Then ask him what he is going to do about it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

joebob450r

Established Member
I have got the new motor almost ready to drop in. Just waiting for federal return so I can get my blower ported. I have to stop back at the tards dyno shop to pick up a new predator, so I think I'm gonna bring the piston with.

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
Looks like a local's around here. 8# lower, heaton, canned predator tune. 4 ended up with the tops ripped right off.

Users who are viewing this thread