Picking up a 2011 GT500 Saturday

MeetMeAtThePark

Force Fed Snake
Established Member
I've been looking around for a couple of months and finally found one that was nicer than I've seen on showroom floors. It's a 2011 Sterling Gray Metallic with Performance Package red stripes that has the electronics package as well. It has 1600 miles on it and with the condition it's in I didn't mind coming to an agreement on his price. I've had an 03 cobra, 04 kb cobra, and an 09 gt500 so I'm not new to the SVT family but it sure is nice to be back in. Will be posting up pictures right as soon as it gets to my garage. And for some HELP: Does anybody know if you can use the KR muffler from the 07-09 GT500 and get it on these new ones? I loved the sound of it on my 09 and I know it might not connect perfect but if it was cut and welded wouldn't it work? Haven't seen anybody explore that yet.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I haven't heard of anyone fitting KR's on a 11-12. There are some very good choices for 11-12's without having to modify the KR's.

MeetMeAtThePark

Force Fed Snake
Established Member
I haven't heard of anyone fitting KR's on a 11-12. There are some very good choices for 11-12's without having to modify the KR's.

I honestly haven't heard any I've liked. Corsa is for corvettes to even put that on a Ford kills me. SLP sounds raspy and not my taste. The stock axleback sounds better than the aftermarket ones I have heard. If you know one that sounds good definitely let me know because it's frustrating when there are normally much better options. The terminator can sound good with a bucket tied to the end of the h pipe and this new motor doesn't have the options in my opinion.

niceguyyy01

Established Member
I have a 2011 and did the lethal o/x with the stock mufflers and I think it sounds perfect. I love my car. LOL.

Kenneth

Established Member
Congrats on the new car (Like mine)

^^Would like to hear soundclip of this^^

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Drive the car first. I actually loved the stock exhaust. Hated to get rid of it but for the quest of HP it had to be done. Sound wise Ford did a great job with it. The KR mufflers will not fit because they changed the hangers on them. You could just weld up new hangers to the mufflers and they will work though.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I honestly haven't heard any I've liked. Corsa is for corvettes to even put that on a Ford kills me. SLP sounds raspy and not my taste. The stock axleback sounds better than the aftermarket ones I have heard. If you know one that sounds good definitely let me know because it's frustrating when there are normally much better options. The terminator can sound good with a bucket tied to the end of the h pipe and this new motor doesn't have the options in my opinion.

I like Borla S type. I have heard an O/R with factory axelbacks sounds great as well.

Many like Roush. I have them now but am switching to Borla S.

Kenneth

Established Member
I've also been thinking about just having an exhaust shop cut the cats out and make me an O/R H-pipe.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I have a 2011 and did the lethal o/x with the stock mufflers and I think it sounds perfect. I love my car. LOL.

+1 on this set up, cheap and easy to do and the sound is great. Wouldn't do a thing to change it and don't have to worry about plugging the cats up.

Synister500

I'm with stupid
Established Member
The 07-09 slip on exhaust will not fit the 2011, without an aftermarket mid pipe as well. The 2011 now has a ball and socket type connection where the factory mid-pipe and muffler meet.

Baby Gorilla

MACA Member #531
Established Member
Drive the car first. I actually loved the stock exhaust. Hated to get rid of it but for the quest of HP it had to be done. Sound wise Ford did a great job with it....

I agree. You might be surprised how good the stock exhaust sounds. I went from stock exhaust to Ford Racing Stingers to Corsa Touring and eventually back to stock. With LT headers and high-flow catted X-pipe, the sound is just what I was looking for.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Ck out the MMS Axlebacks over at Team Shelby, from Mackenzie Mustang. Alex has many satisfied customers and I think he has models for the earlier and newer Shelby's.

Colleton

Established Member
Congrats on the new car, it sounds like a nice one.

Drive the car first. I actually loved the stock exhaust. Hated to get rid of it but for the quest of HP it had to be done. Sound wise Ford did a great job with it. The KR mufflers will not fit because they changed the hangers on them. You could just weld up new hangers to the mufflers and they will work though.

This. I went from an 09 with the KR mufflers to an 11 with the stock exhaust, and I prefer the stock exhaust sound on the 11. It's just perfect, at least to me.

Black Sex

Established Member
Congrats OP. I just picked mine up last weekend. I loved every minute of the 7hr trip home.

I heard some Borla mufflers I liked. Not sure what kind. I will try to find you the clip.
Is it true that you don't pick up any hp with swapping the mufflers? I would think a better flowing, lighter muffler would have to have some performance gains unless the stock muffler flows more than enough to be efficent.
I myself do like the sound of the stock mufflers, they just need to be louder. Does anyone have a sound clip or LT's with stock mufflers.

Black Sex

Established Member
Sorry I stand corrected, it was a Bassani with LT's
[youtube_browser]Fa-usEeLE6k&feature=related[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

MeetMeAtThePark

Force Fed Snake
Established Member
Some good stuff here thanks guys. My thing is I think the 11's sound different than the 07 to 09's. I'm gonna start a new thread for sound clips so we can get them organized. It's hard running through youtube and putting up with crappy videos. I agree that the stock axlebacks on the new shelbys sound way better than before. I'll definitely drive it stock for awhile and then will decide if I want a little more sound. I just don't like raspy at all and all the off road x combos I've heard seem to be so. Even with the stock axleback I thought the lethal offroad x sounded very raspy. I was spoiled by my 2nd car being a 03 cobra with borla stingers which were deep and throaty with absolutely no rasp. Doing a cut and weld and a little bracket work with the KR muffler might be worth it. I'll attach the link to the new thread to this post and if y'all have sound clips be sure to throw them up in there.

CobraSoze

SPTZ VNM
Established Member
I have stock muffler with MBRP stainless H-pipe added. I had to have it custom welded, as it's a 3 1/4" end connecting to less than 3" stock piece. Sounds better than any other 2011 GT500 I've heard, period. And with boost package, it's perfect!

Sorry, I don't have any sound bites, but I'll try to make one this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread