Picked up a rescue this weekend: Mastiff

TechSavy

Established Member
The wife and I volunteer/support a few rescues here in Houston. Well she called me early last week to tell me that one of the rescues pulled a Mastiff out of Harris County as his time was up. He's heart worm positive and about 50lbs under weight (currently @ 115lbs, should be around 170lbs).

We told the rescue that we'd like to take care of his vet bills and get him back to health as we plan on keeping him. Turns out after he was fixed he contracted a upper respiratory infection :( Big $$$ at the emergency vet and a Sunday later after a bloat scare he's back at home, cone and all. Basically told that his immune system is currently shot.

With all that he's been through these last couple weeks with being sick, fixed, and being extremely under weight he is still the happiest dog in the world. He's also steadily learning his place in the pecking order at our home (we also have heelers). All in all he's turning out to be a great dog.

He's scheduled for a vet appointment Friday to see how bad the heart worms are as there are two different treatments you can do. Once he gets a little chunkier we'll start him on that.

photo3-1.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

All the pictures are taken at a boarding facility here in Houston where my wife works.

Moose (dog's name) is registered as a Boerboel, or a breed of Mastiff out of South Africa.

Boerboel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll be trying to update this thread periodically as his weight goes up. We've already got a few vets in town that would like to see some pictures of him after he fills out.

Thanks guys :beer:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Poor dog, but that's awesome that you and your wife saved this big guy! He looks like a great dog, keep us updated.

svtaddict

Established Member
mastiffs are the best dogs their scary looking but wont hurt a flea my mastiffs name is Danger

mustanginky

Established Member
Neighbor has one just like it, his name is max. Mean looking but my dads shih-tuz have charged him (lol) and he just stands there. Very nice dogs. Hope that one heals up fine. Nice work helping him along btw.

TechSavy

Established Member
Neighbor has one just like it, his name is max. Mean looking but my dads shih-tuz have charged him (lol) and he just stands there. Very nice dogs. Hope that one heals up fine. Nice work helping him along btw.

You pretty much nailed it on his personality lol Although we have had people knock on the door which causes him to start barking.....damn dog scared me.

nice man!!! I just got my 9 week ol boxer mix yesterday from a rescue. rescue is the best way to go! so many dogs out their!!

Pure truth there. All our heelers and other dogs have been rescues, we won't get a pet any other way.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
Great looking happy dog, your a good person for doing what you do.

I know how hard it can be, I am currently fostering a 3 legged Pitbull. She is starting to come around too.

chris1badL

Established Member
Awesome man! My neighbor also has one, he is packing about 225lbs. You could probably throw a saddle on him and ride him to work. Nicest dog though...

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
Poor fellow. That's great of you all to bring him in, I'm sure he is a great dog.

An old roommate of mine had a neopolitan mastiff that made my great dane look like a puppy.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
make sure after he eats you isolate him in a kennel or somewhere he can't get too crazy, bloat is prone after they eat and play right after. I always fed my Dane and put her in Kennel for about an hour after she ate, bloat is nasty. great looking dog man

TechSavy

Established Member
make sure after he eats you isolate him in a kennel or somewhere he can't get too crazy, bloat is prone after they eat and play right after. I always fed my Dane and put her in Kennel for about an hour after she ate, bloat is nasty. great looking dog man

Yeah, that's what the wife says they do with deep chested dogs that board. We've got him on a strict relax schedule now lol

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Yeah, that's what the wife says they do with deep chested dogs that board. We've got him on a strict relax schedule now lol

yeah we put her ass in her kennel lol no swimming for 30 mins after you eat....y u no relax after eat? lol

TechSavy

Established Member
Update: Earlier this week he had a spell of lost appetite to where he wouldn't even eat treats. We called the vet and they said it was probably a side effect of the combination of drugs he was on at that point. They told us to stop giving him one and now he's back to eating like a horse. Picked up some high fat, high protein dog food to see if we can put the pounds back on this guy. I'll try to grab some pics this weekend, you can already tell from his side that he's gained a couple lbs.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
we used Taste of the Wild what you guys feeding him?her coat was always nice and she was super healthy

texaswrx

Established Member
I'm just outside of Houston. I have two Aussie Shepherd rescues (13 years old now), and my most recent, a wire hair Dachshund, who thinks she is a boss. Great job!
580036_417819254907458_736984970_n.jpg

The Crew.

Last edited:

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Nice find. Any reason why there are more pictures of him sleeping than walking around?

TechSavy

Established Member
we used Taste of the Wild what you guys feeding him?her coat was always nice and she was super healthy

As of right now he's on the vet prescribed Pro Plan. But, we're looking to start feeding him Taste of the Wild we just need to find a feed shop that carries it.

I'm just outside of Houston. I have two Aussie Shepherd rescues (13 years old now), and my most recent, a wire hair Dachshund, who thinks she is a boss. Great job!

That's awesome. We're actually located in Missouri City, but the boarding facility where the pictures were taken is over by Hobby Airport.

Nice find. Any reason why there are more pictures of him sleeping than walking around?

First one was him in seclusion because we thought he had kennel cough (turned out to be a upper respiratory infection) and didn't want him mingling with the other dogs.

Second one was the day after his boys were removed so he again was placed by himself.

Third is how he constantly is now. I plan on grabbing some more pictures this weekend and posting them. The dog is the biggest goober I've ever met.

M3xpress

Established Member

This.

I had a Great Pyrenees die bc of bloat when I was younger before I knew anything about it. Didn't know what was wrong with her and I wasn't even halfway to the vet before she died. :(

Hope you get him where he needs to be, I'm sure he'll be a cool dog.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Awesome that you rescued him. You both are obviously well prepared to care for him. He has the happiest home he could want. :)

Users who are viewing this thread