Picked up a 5.0...found out what i think is the trans is leaking few questions

dabster

Established Member
Picked up a 5.0...found out what i think is the trans is leaking pics inside

Is the tranny fluid in our cars gold for the manual cars? it's an '11 premium GT just picked it up 2 days ago and its already leaving big puddles of what i think is tranny fluid in my garage. Very frustrating to say the least. Car has 33k miles on it as well as the paperwork for the warranty work on the trans done 8k miles ago which was very extensive. You would think only 8k miles on the tranny wouldnt be enough to do anything. Any ideas? It's coming from above the cross member right in the middle of the car. I am taking it into the stealership but they don't have room until thursday. I just wanna drive this thing this sucks!!

null_zps7cd3b06c.jpg

Last edited:

helli217

Established Member
Might be fluid coming from the trans vent. Sometimes the vents get clogged and blow out the end too, which will cause easier venting. Is it leaving puddles after you drive? Seem like the origin is from the top forward half of the trans?

dabster

Established Member
It's leaving the puddles after I drive, I drove it about 5 hours ago and its already got about a 2x2 foot puddle in my garage. The leak is coming from whatever piece is on top of that cross member right in the middle of the car right by where the 02's are located on the exhaust. I'm not driving it anymore until it's fixed. Hope it's nothing major.

Last edited:

helli217

Established Member
See if you can inspect the trans and find there area of origin. (more specifically) When mine was venting I had to get it up in the air and inspect with a mirror and flashlight. It's a tight area, but possible to position the mirror to see the vent and the surrounding area. I could SEE my fluid coming from there then spilling out all over the place. If this is where you think the origin is, and the vent itself looks to be intact, check the trans fluid level by cracking open the *fill* plug. If the car's LEVEL and the fluid pours out, it's over serviced. Let it poor out, tighten plug, wipe down transmission, drive. Reinspect.

I did this exact process, and my fluid was in fact slightly over serviced. Since adjusting the level the trans has not "leaked" (vented) since.

If the fluid seems to be coming from a different area entirely, report back.

Or if the car's still under warranty and you trust the stealer's work, drop it off. :)

Last edited:

dabster

Established Member
I have heard of the venting as well, I just don't think this is the same situation unfortunately. I bought it privately and don't think the tranny was serviced recently, that, as well as that there's 3 big puddles in different spots that i've parked in the last day makes me think that if it were just overflow it would have stopped by now. I'm just going to try to take it somewhere to tomorrow I guess and go from there. It is still under warranty to might as well

Last edited:

dabster

Established Member
is this the valve you're referring to? I have a pic of what I think is that valve you're talking about (still new to this) and where the fluid is coming from.

null_zpsf5dc2ed3.jpg

null_zpsb332a9e1.jpg

Last edited:

helli217

Established Member
The vent I am talking about id forward of that area, on the top drivers side of the transmission. You wont be able to get a pic of it unless you have a borescope. You have to shove a mirror up into the trans tunneel on the drivers side of the trans and locate the vent tube on the top of the transmission.

Its hard to tell from these pics, as you said you've moved the car alot in the past few days. Also, if the trans is venting onto the top of the trans while driving, the fluid is going to go all over while heading towards the back of the trans/car, and will end up on that crossmember pictured.

Best bet is to either take the car into the dealer, or get it on jackstands and get a better idea of the origin. Fluid will go everywhere if it vents while you're driving.

That "valve" in your first pic is the filler plug, not a valve at all, if that's what you were referring to. If it seems that is where the fluid is coming from, tighten it up! It could be that the last time the trans was serviced it wasn't tightened properly.

dabster

Established Member
It's going to the dealer for sure it's warrantied I'm not going to pay for it, just wanted an idea since it's gonna sit another week.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
It's going to the dealer for sure it's warrantied I'm not going to pay for it, just wanted an idea since it's gonna sit another week.

dabster,

Let me know how your dealer visit goes. I'm sure they'll be able to get this diagnosed for you, but if you need anything, give me a shout!

Ashley

dabster

Established Member
dabster,

Let me know how your dealer visit goes. I'm sure they'll be able to get this diagnosed for you, but if you need anything, give me a shout!

Ashley

They're already telling me it probably won't be covered under warranty for some reason without even seeing the car? They said even though it has the 60k powertrain it might not be covered because it's an '11. Does that make sense? I've got an appointment for tomorrow. Thanks in advance

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
They're already telling me it probably won't be covered under warranty for some reason without even seeing the car? They said even though it has the 60k powertrain it might not be covered because it's an '11. Does that make sense? I've got an appointment for tomorrow. Thanks in advance

dabster,

As far as I know, your powertrain is 5 years/60,000 miles. I would still bring it in tomorrow and ask why they think it wouldn't be covered. They should be able to explain it to you. If you run into any problems, let me know.

Ashley

dabster

Established Member
perfect that's what my understanding of it was was all. The whole trans was serviced 8k ago as I said earlier, I honestly can't believe there's already another issue.

dabster

Established Member
I already called another dealer and they were like "of course it's covered" when I asked...LOL these people are jokes. Taking it in tomorrow at 12:30 I'll report back

5.0GT

Established Member
I already called another dealer and they were like "of course it's covered" when I asked...LOL these people are jokes. Taking it in tomorrow at 12:30 I'll report back

Welcome to the Ford life. Ford makes great products but after seeing how bad the service I would never ever buy a new car from them. The first thing they do whenever it's warranty related is blame you. I get irritated everytime I need to go to a dealer lol

5.0GT

Established Member
Is that oil around the bellhousing? do you have clutch pressure, might be a salve cylinder

dabster

Established Member
honestly the car showed no symptoms and drove fine...just pulled out and noticed a big puddle and pulled it back in the garage.

dabster

Established Member
Finally got it in to the dealer, even though I brought every receipt of the warranty work as well as name and card of the engineer who did it they still are going to have to call them and see all that they did first before they even work on it and won't start until tomorrow....makes absolutely zero sense to me but at least it's underway.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
is this the valve you're referring to? I have a pic of what I think is that valve you're talking about (still new to this) and where the fluid is coming from.

null_zpsf5dc2ed3.jpg
The pic you posted above is the fluid drain, not a valve. Are you saying it is leaking from there? or is that just some of the spill around it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread